Thread: Path Blocked, Stalybridge

Path Blocked, Stalybridge

Hi,

I was out for a run today and attempted the steep climb up to the trig point above Hobson Moor above Stalybridge.

https://www.strava.com/segments/7257874

There is a new, sturdy barbedwire fence right across it. I've been running this way regularly for the last 3 years and am very disappointed to see this happen.

There was an email address pinned to the fence asking for contact from people who have been running that way over the years. I know that the person who owns the land directly above Hobson Moor quarry tried to stop access that way a few years ago and it was challenged on the grounds of people having used it as a path over the last 20 years. Hopefully something similar could be done here.

Could anyone that runs this route now or in the past let me know please.

258 Attempts By 73 People on that segment, so it would be reasonably well used by strava users alone. It would hardly come under the banner of "abandoned footpath"

Could you add comments to the activites on the more recent people on the leaderboard asking them to contact you?

Yes, cheers Patrick, that's a good idea.

I also think that this is the descent line for the fell race that's part of the Tour of Tameside, which runs in June. That was run regularly quite a while back so there will be good documentary evidence of it's continued use from there. I'll ask a few of the older members in our clubs and some of my dad's mates, I think.

I haven't heard back from the mail account I emailed so have contacted the Rambler's Association, the Peak and Northern Footpaths Society and the council.

Quote Originally Posted by thegnigma View Post
    Yes, cheers Patrick, that's a good idea.

I also think that this is the descent line for the fell race that's part of the Tour of Tameside, which runs in June. That was run regularly quite a while back so there will be good documentary evidence of it's continued use from there. I'll ask a few of the older members in our clubs and some of my dad's mates, I think.

I haven't heard back from the mail account I emailed so have contacted the Rambler's Association, the Peak and Northern Footpaths Society and the council.
    I used to run on that path regularly when i worked over that side of the hill. It was a good one for hill reps. You only need to look at how eroded it is to see how well used it is.

Perhaps it's segments like this that have more to do with it.
    https://www.strava.com/segments/1445116
    It's a similar story though, I've been told that MTBers have been using it for years too.
    It takes some skill to get down that on 2 wheels, which I don't have, I just came away with cuts, bruises and a sore neck.

It's definitely worn down a lot through bikes, as there are big ruts in the path. I still don't see this as a reason to block it off. The new fence traverses right across the hill at the same height so I don't think it is necessarily an attempt to block this path off in particular. It's not marked on the OS so I presume the owner regards it as his/her right.

I've since realised that the Copley Fell Race takes this line for it's descent. It was run regularly as part of the Tour of Tameside, and was resurrected last year. This year's race is due to take place in June. This should help to prove that the path has been in long and regular usage.

Sounds like the best you can hope for is a style over it.

The Rambler's association got back to me and they've passed it on to their local volunteer to look into. I haven't heard back from anyone else yet.

I went up there again the other day but this time approached the fence from the trig point downwards. People have obviously been skirting the fence on the right and it looks like a new path is forming already.

Tameside council got back to me and said that they were aware of the problem and addressing it. Looks like the landowner has put a gate in the fence now.

copley.jpg

This is all good news with a swift out come, showing that the process and procedures do sometimes work. Excellent.