Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printing maps

Printing maps

I'm doing a long point to point race this year that straddles two OS maps. Harvey don't print this race map. I wasn't able to find a satisfactory map commercially.

My solution is to use an OS subscription (only £8 in clubcard vouchers - I'm a Yorkshireman who moved to Scotland) and print maps on to waterproof paper. I know that there are a few options available for A4 sheets. In order to get a 1:50,000 map onto a single sheet, I'll need to print two sides on A3, which I can do with my printer.

The sticking point is that I can't find waterproof paper in A3! Does anyone else have experience with printing maps? Which papers are good in an inkjet printer? Are any available in A3? Do you have any other handy tips?

Print to sale on to a4 and laminate. you can put route notes on and write on the laminate with a sharpie.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Print to sale on to a4 and laminate. you can put route notes on and write on the laminate with a sharpie.
    Do you mean to reduce the map size - print 1:100,000?

I usually photo copy onto A4 paper, put them back to back and then laminate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jharrison5 View Post
    Do you mean to reduce the map size - print 1:100,000?
    no I print every thing in 1:25,000
    don't forget to add grid ref numbers and letter code in case you need to give a grid ref

This all works for short races or circular routes, but the event I'm concerned with is Lairig Ghru. It's a linear 27 miles through the Cairngorms. 1:25,000 won't fit on half a dozen sheets of A4!

I use bing maps.
    pop in a cellophane sleeve.
    It takes 3 pages for PPP.
    I do have the OS maps, but it's easier to use the Bing option than carting the whole map around or scanning.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

This all works for short races or circular routes, but the event I'm concerned with is Lairig Ghru. It's a linear 27 miles through the Cairngorms. 1:25,000 won't fit on half a dozen sheets of A4!
    You could shrink to 1:50,000. its a relatively easy route.
    I've the whole Rigby on A4 sheets covering the whole of the Cairngorms at 1:25,000 on 3 pages A4 using both sides..

Bing Maps
    On top right select Ordnance Survey.
    Position Braemar bottom right of screen and zoom in using the Bing Zooom.
    When you get the 1:25,000 format, use your Browser to zoom out until you have the section to Cairn Toul.
    (If you zoom out with Bing it goes to 1:50000 format)

Then Print Screen and paste using Paint or something.
    That's page 1 saved.
    Page 2, use same method.
    Page 3, use same method.

Unfortunately I can't rotate Bing Maps 90 degrees like you can with Google Earth or the 2nd half would probably go on 1 sheet in portrait.

I'd then pop them in a cellophane pouch with 1 & 2 visible and 3 in the middle and then switch them once I'd completed page 1.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Have you tried local orienteering clubs? We only have A4 waterproof but somebody may have. A3