Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bogs

Bogs

best ways to avoid the dog from jumping in em? and me falling in oine..

Re: Bogs

Road Running

Master

]best ways to avoid the dog from jumping in em? and me falling in oine..

I leave my dog to find them and then take a different line thus avoiding them.

Mind you the shoe on on the other foot when negotiating narrow sheep trods with big drop offs the dog watches my line then steals it
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    best ways to avoid the dog from jumping in em? and me falling in oine..
    Close the toilet door (for the dog)...

...and don't drink so much (for you)

But seriously Pingu..I thought your kind could swim don't don't see the problem. All part of the fun'o'the'fells I say
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

Try Weardale bogs around the top end, west of kilhope cross, along the border fence, miles of em, my dog (rain) usually finds good routes but tends to chase grouse , whereas i'm not fussed about chasing that type of bird. If u do go alone, keep your phone handy and waterproofed just in case. I only got up to my waist on Black Hill but a bit scary!!!

I never think of Winter Hill as being boggy,but i was having a look at the race route recently.After i had climbed to the path below the Pike and turned left heading towards the mast,i fell up to my waist in a hole! It was hardly a bog,but took me by surprise to say the least!

I assume its because of the exceptional level of rainfall that weve had.Has anybody else done the same? Its only about 200 meters from the Pike?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Baz View Post
    I assume its because of the exceptional level of rainfall that weve had.Has anybody else done the same? Its only about 200 meters from the Pike?
    Do you mean coming down the trod with the pike behind you - before you reach a little wooden plank thing to slide off?
    There have been a lot of motor cyclists there recently and the ground is a complete MESS All round that Pike area trods that were quite visible are now big piles of sludge and mud with deep tyre tracks - not good.

If you carry on further up that trod -( the winter hill route takes a trod to the right heading for two lads) and head on towards the mast there is most DEFINATELY a bog there!!! I fell in waist deep a while ago now and the most shocking thing was we had hardly any rain but it had gone from a lovely springy surface to 4ft deep in a week

An interesting initiation must to the amusement of the rest of the running club!!

Master

Think i will give Fleet Moss a miss this weekend
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Do you mean coming down the trod with the pike behind you - before you reach a little wooden plank thing to slide off?
    There have been a lot of motor cyclists there recently and the ground is a complete MESS All round that Pike area trods that were quite visible are now big piles of sludge and mud with deep tyre tracks - not good.

If you carry on further up that trod -( the winter hill route takes a trod to the right heading for two lads) and head on towards the mast there is most DEFINATELY a bog there!!! I fell in waist deep a while ago now and the most shocking thing was we had hardly any rain but it had gone from a lovely springy surface to 4ft deep in a week

An interesting initiation must to the amusement of the rest of the running club!!
    I could see people on the horizon making their way down....and to be honest my only concern was getting out before i was spotted.

undercover moderator

I had a bit of a wobbly time in/on Aune Head mire on Sunday.

One of those moments in the gathering dusk when you wish you hadn't come that way, but can't get back, and the heart rate begins to rise even though you're standing still.

Normally I get that feeling when I've scrambled up something that has no way forward and I realise that the way back is a bit lively.

This time it was in the middle of a flat and desolate plateau, when I realised that the mire was indeed impassable, and that my momentum had carried me on 20m more than was advisable or retrievable.

Then, I realised that the one patch of firmish ground I was standing on was in fact moving and quaking under my feet. I can't believe that Dartmoor mires can actually suck you in, or there might be a few more dire warnings about them. That's not very reassuring when you're by yourself with only a whistle for company, though. It took 10 minutes to get back to firm ground, and I was pretty glad to get there.

Incidentally, does an elevated heartbeat through fear have the same training effect as exercise? I might start regularly checking my bank statement instead of bothering with the bloody turbo trainer.