Thread: Self/un-supported SWT

Self/un-supported SWT

Does anyone have any info on any attempts at a self or un-supported South Wales Traverse? Can't find any info online and I was wondering if it had been done and if so, how? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed D View Post
    Does anyone have any info on any attempts at a self or un-supported South Wales Traverse? Can't find any info online and I was wondering if it had been done and if so, how? Thanks.

Pack your bag and go ;-)

If anyone knows any times, I'd be interested too!

Haha after talking about it in the pub after the Blorenge race the other day it does hold some appeal, particularly as it's hard for me to book these things in advance.

Some years ago I did the SWT solo and so did Rob Woodall: a friend took us from the Priory to the start. I set off and Rob set off later, both on our own, Rob being faster than me. The friend did road support for both of us. We took different routes to the Black Mountains and Rob finished before me. I can supply details, send me a pm.
    It was end of March with some snow and frost

Thanks YDT - I think I've read the write up of that run if it's already online somewhere. Did you have road support at every road crossing?

Yes, every crossing, three in total I think.

Interesting - I know that there are more potential support points on the route so for 3 to be manageable might make life a bit easier for stashing stuff en route. If one were to give it a go of course….

There are 8 road crossings on the SWT. But for a minimal, spread of supply points your probably looking at either end of the road section, Story Arms and the layby before heading into the black mountain? If not bothering with road shoes, a supply drop at the base of PCC and head up the Eastern flank of Cwm Crawnon for a pleasant change to the road! (I'm assuming your heading East to West?)
    Last edited by Meanderthal; 11-05-2016 at 09:14 AM.