Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dragon's Back

Good luck Willowisp.

I don't think the magnitude of the challenge is in any doubt whatsoever. But maybe, at least from a fell running point of view, a lot of the magic has been taken away. I suspect most people doing it won't give a hoot though.

Believe me I am in agreement that some of the magic is now gone and I think its a shame but it will still be epic. Anyhow thanks for the good luck.

At the end of last DB Shane said that he now had a route (checkpoints) he intended to stick to, rather than changing it each event - meaning new negotiations for access and plans etc.

Also people are not taking into account overseas runners that want to participate and possibly be at the front end racing. If they cannot visit the uk to recce routes and gain map reading experience they are pretty much ruled out of the race, no chance of seriously competing. With a set route they have a reasonable chance and if they visit uk prior to the race they can follow bits of a set route as opposed to having to run all the options.

As an event for uk residents I can see the old style appealing, but if the RD wants to promote a commercial and sponsored race involving serious international athletes, then this is the only way forward.
    It's still bloody lovely mountains 👍

Seems the rules over navigation have changed again. Looks like with a few exceptions you can choose the route to suit you although they will also provide a GPX of their presumed best line.

Saw Carol Morgan warming up for this by running The Charlesworth Chase this morning.

Good daily coverage on the race website and live trackers. Looks like Jim Mann may have blown his chances of the win with a major nav error yesterday. Scotney should be strong on the final two days.

Apparently Carol did a warm up loop before setting off on leg 4. I doubt it was intentional though.
    Jim is only 8 mins adrift now. It's going to be a close one. I think i'd try to set off 15 minutes behind him and see if I could catch him. Maybe Marcus will wait for Jim to set off though, and atempt to track him.

Despite her error, Carol made up over half an hour over Sabrina. Only 15 mins between the first 3 ladies, so all to play for tomorrow.
    Meanwhile (according to Ian Corless) Marcus may too crocked to make a contest of it.
    My mate Euan still going strong in the middle of the pack - it's not easy preparing for something like this when you live on the South coast.

Marcus is a Physio so if any one can rebuild himself it will be him..
    also keep going one of the Where's Tigger gone? team from the HPM Charlie Elliot.

Marcus is opening up a big lead now. The two leading ladies are within a km of each other, so could be close finish.