Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rob Jebb BGR Saturday 16t

Master

Rob Jebb BGR Saturday 16t

Surely this demands a thread of its own! Brilliant achievement completing in 14 hours and 30 mins yesterday, 2nd fastest ever. We saw then up on Brandreth, and my mate said that Robb was probably supporting a BG. Only when we got back to Honister an hour later did we hear that Rob was on his own BG. I don't know if he was chasing the record but I know he was met by Billy Bland at Honister. It was windy high up and that possibly acted to slow him a little!
    Again fantastic effort and awe inspiring for most of us here.

Amazing achievement, I personally finding it very exciting to see the times coming down so much at the moment. 13:53 looks like it's within striking distance.

Rob's time is the fastest qualifying time, the previous fastest was Stuart Bland's 14:56. Billy Bland's record was his second round but his first round in 1976 of 18:50 was the fastest at that time.

If it was anything like as windy as here (Skipton) then it's an impressive time.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Brilliant result from one of our top fell runners. Well done Rob!

Super Moderator
    A fabulous run, and Simon you are spot on; when we don't celebrate achievements like this it's time to shut the forum down
    Poacher turned game-keeper

It is a fabulous achievement by Rob Jebb, obviously thought through and executed to a plan, which seems to have included running through each road support point without stopping (let's not forget if Billy Bland had done that - and been able to sustain his corking pace as well with such a policy - HE could have been 21 minutes faster still on the 13-53 record round).

I asked Rob about the BGR when researching my first book (in 2012), and his reply was interesting:

It interests me, except what it takes out of you. I would rather do some races than do that. I keep joking that I’ll do the Old County Tops with Scoffer, which is quite a long one, but we haven’t got round to it yet. I don’t know if I will ever do BGR. It doesn’t float my boat, but I’d love to be able to say I’d done it, but that is about it. There are so many things to do, and I know that doing that you would miss out on so much more. I could probably go and potter round, but I wouldn’t want to that.

Given that was 4 years ago, and that you could argue that Rob has possibly passed his physical peak, I can't help wondering whether he might have gone even faster if he had done it a few years ago when at his absolute peak, which is essentially what Billy did in 1982.

The counter-argument of course is that he may not have the required (super)endurance then and has recently been acquiring that.

I do hope he gives an account of the day, which may of course shed some light on my idle ramblings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Rob's time is the fastest qualifying time, the previous fastest was Stuart Bland's 14:56. Billy Bland's record was his second round but his first round in 1976 of 18:50 was the fastest at that time.

If it was anything like as windy as here (Skipton) then it's an impressive time.
    Bob, it wasn't too bad on Saturday. I did a decent chunk of leg 3/4 and winds were generally light, the rock dry. Only encountered cloud on the top of Scafell Pike and Gable. I understand that Rob set off early on Sat morning, which means he timed it about perfectly - it rained pretty heavily until around 0300 - 0400.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

I saw them come through Honister and at the time I had no idea who it was. I did however realise that he was shifting when he ran grabbed a drink and ran straight through the car park without stopping.

Such an incredible run.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Fantastic run. Great to see someone have a go at the record!! Hopefully more will be encouraged to now! Can't wait to read the write up and see his thought!? Congratulations Robb Jebb!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com