Thread: Blisters!

Blisters!

Hi

This is my first post. I've done three fell races and two legs of the BGR but all very slowly. As the title suggests as soon as my feet get wet I get blisters on the sides of my feet, am I right in thinking that even if you buy top price trail/fell running shoes and sealskinz your feet will still get wet on the majority of routes , or is there a way to prevent this?

Thanks
    Craig

Hi Craig

I was in the same boat, I couldn't get through a race without getting blisters.

I just put surgical spirt on my feet every night with cotton wool. Whether that worked, or whether they just "toughened up" I'm not sure, but I've done some 30 and 40 mile races this year and not had any problems.

With regard to socks, I'd be inclined to just stick with the normal socks rather than sealskins, but thst is just my thoughts rather than based on any evidence.

Good luck!

Oh i should also mention i do go to the chiropodist every 8-10 weeks just for a general treatment and get.my.toenails sorted, seems to all help.

Normal socks here also, I think as time goes on your feet do toughen up, I'm the opposite to Travs, my missus had a chiropodist come to the house who offered to sort my feet, no chance, better left alone I think, and just remember, toe nails (especially the middle ones in my case) are an unnecessary extravagance

Thanks lads. So all fell runners race with wet feet? I got sealskins for the scafell race not knowing that after a few hundred yards you run through a stream and my feet were soaking!

Yeah, on a lot of long races you can't really avoid getting wet feet. Quite frankly on a tough race it'll be the least of your problems!!!

My thoughts on "waterproof" socks is that they won't let sweat out either, which I would imagine would be just as bad, if not worse.

Incidentally went the chiropodist this morning. All my nails trimmed up, filed down, and looking normal. The remnants of my blister from wearing brand new trainers to run Wasdale, all filed off and smoothed down.

£30 quid though, every ten weeks or so, hopefully an investment that pays off...
    Last edited by Travs; 23-07-2016 at 07:04 PM.

I generally go with standard socks (two pairs of 'liners', 1000 mile, Injinji) but I have recently used Sealskinz and found them great for wet winter runs around Ingleborough/Pen-y-Ghent etc. Used them for first half of Fellsman and they were brilliant. Mine are the high ankel ones which may be a better bet than short anklet(?) type ones. I have, though, had days when water did ingress somehow and mrs tfg has problems putting the toe through very easily for no apparent reason?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Master
    Injini socks teamed up with NB Leadville shoes gets me through 100 + mile outings with no foot or limb issues
    The older I get the Faster I was