Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tick bites?

Tick bites?

Got these after a woodland ride on my bike a few days ago.

Tick bites? Don't think I've ever had them before! Left is on my torso, right in on left calf.
    13775471_10154374741143781_5000222925298872258_n.jpg

Presumably you never saw or removed any ticks? Could be horsefly bites.

Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post
    Presumably you never saw or removed any ticks? Could be horsefly bites.
    Never saw any ticks. I normally brush myself down post run or ride. Got bitten by a horsefly last year. Hurts like a bugger. Didn't feel a thing this time if that's what it was.
    Last edited by Vegan Runner; 23-07-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Runner View Post
    Never saw any ticks. I normally brush myself down post run or ride. Got bitten by a horsefly last year. Hurts like a bugger. Didn't feel a thing this time if that's what it was.

Horsefly or even midge bites, I've had some pretty nasty infected bites from midges, I reckon worth getting a Doc to check these over, my missus had Cellulitus from a Horsefly bite once and ended up on an antibiotic drip for a week in hospital, worth ruling out ticks as well although as you say you haven't seen any so perhaps unlikely, the midge bites I've had tend to be hot to touch and ache like hell, although I think this could be due to an allergic reaction on my part perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Horsefly or even midge bites, I've had some pretty nasty infected bites from midges, I reckon worth getting a Doc to check these over, my missus had Cellulitus from a Horsefly bite once and ended up on an antibiotic drip for a week in hospital, worth ruling out ticks as well although as you say you haven't seen any so perhaps unlikely, the midge bites I've had tend to be hot to touch and ache like hell, although I think this could be due to an allergic reaction on my part perhaps.
    oh and just thought, presumably you've had a tick or two before now, but my first tick bites were worse than any subsequent ones, perhaps some sort of immunity type thing kicks in after the first one, my first was a pain for about six months.

Just back from seeing a doc. He doesn't think that the rash indicates Lyme disease. Definitely been bitten though. Have to keep an eye on it and go back if it gets worse, doesn't clear or if I get any of the other Lyme symptoms. On antihistamines for now.

Daletownrunner, I've been bitten by ticks twice before but noticed them within minutes and just had a little bite mark/rash. Cleared up after a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Runner View Post
    Just back from seeing a doc. He doesn't think that the rash indicates Lyme disease. Definitely been bitten though. Have to keep an eye on it and go back if it gets worse, doesn't clear or if I get any of the other Lyme symptoms. On antihistamines for now.

Daletownrunner, I've been bitten by ticks twice before but noticed them within minutes and just had a little bite mark/rash. Cleared up after a week.
    Funny I've been the same, notice them pretty much as soon as they're on, whether it's a sixth sense or the fact that generally I check more on tick type days

Looks like Horse flies bites, I had 6 bites and the wife 3 the other Sunday from the bast**ds, one of mine turned funny, red rash getting bigger from it and my leg started to swell up, went to the doc's he said sepsis, and put me on a course of antibiotics. 5 years ago I got bitten on the hand and left it a bit longer before I acted, I ended up in A+E and went into septic shock, the doc's got me round but I was on loads of antibiotics and my running was not right for a month. Two years ago the wife was bitten on the hand and her arm swelled up, again a trip to A+E. If it starts to spread or you get flu like symptoms swollen lymph nodes then back to the Doctors, in 6 out of 10 cases septic shock is fatal.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Master
    Keep skin covered - I know it is unfashionable - but tights/long sleeves/gloves are good protection against insects, and falls for that matter. Even on hot days it is amazing how acceptable 2XU tights are - they are not designed to retain heat, in fact the exact opposite. I don't expect any converts! An alternative or additional measure is copious amounts of suntan cream - insects don't seem to like it and don't land, or drown when it is mixed with sweat.

Definitely agree with Mike on the sun cream...I've used Avon's (other brands available) "skin so soft" before and that keeps the midge's off so I'm guessing it might work on other annoying insects, haha
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC