Thread: Teggs Nose Fell Race 2016

Teggs Nose Fell Race 2016

This one is in the FRA calendar. 8 miles and 525 metres of climb. Very pretty route, the bulk of which is on private land...so you get views you wouldn't otherwise get but you aren't able to follow the route in training. We depend on the goodwill of the farmers to allow access for the race, so please don't attempt to access the route outside of the race itself.

We also depend on volunteers to marshal, so if anyone is not able to run in the race, it would be appreciated if you were to volunteer to help out.

If so, please give me a call...07709 261715

It's a cracking race, so long may it continue (it's been going for about 33 years).

All race entry fees go to MIND, the mental health charity.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Just to clear up any confusion, whilst last year's race started at 13.00, this year we have gone back to the traditional start of 14.30.

Cheers

Simon Cartledge

Just a reminder... No dogs on the route as there will be livestock around the course. The cattle are very placide and won't take any intrest in you, but they don't like dogs! See you tomorrow before 2:30. 😀

Great race, and a good day out at the trials.

Raced last year and hoped to be back, but raced the last two weekends and need a rest!

It was stiflingly hot last year, and could be the same tomorrow, if not worse!

Deceivingly tough course, not so much the climbs but the roughness of the terrain in some areas.

Good luck.

I'll be marshalling about 1 mile into the race. I'll give you all a cheer. Good luck to those taking part.

" If you don't stop picking your nose your head will cave in ".

Contrary to popular belief this old wife's tale must be true. I say this with confidence because my grandma used to say it to me when I was a child and she never told lies. Admittedly I don't know of anyone who's head has caved in but she didn't specify the amount of picking required. However, I did question her when she said my eyes would wobble if I wiggled my finger whilst in mid pick.

Tegg's Nose fell race at 8 miles with 1700ft of climb is not to be sniffed at....no(se) siree.

On arrival I'm surprised by now many cars are parked up. Then I realise the majority are here for sheepdog trials which run in conjunction with the fell race. Given all the pastoral farming in the area the sheepdog trials are unsurprisingly very popular. It's amazing watching the dogs working...Nellie my Border terrier won't even retrieve a ball unless bribed with a biscuit.

Before we start the race we're counted through the start funnel and 118 runners patiently wait for the 3-2-1 countdown. Young Jack Ross is off like a shot and ends up leading throughout for another comfortable win....he's out of sight before we've left the show field, impressive running.

There's plenty of runnable sections which I don't relish, but these make the climbs and descents all the more enjoyable. A pattern starts to form in which I'd gain on the climbs and lose out on the flats. The section through the woods was great, it not only gave us a break from the heat of the sun but allowed for some exciting descending whilst weaving between the trees.

The final mile is a very runnable flat section and I'm passed by a guy I'd overtaken on the last climb.....no surprise there, but I'm happy with 8th.

Great day out and race....glad I 'picked' Tegg's Nose.

Many thanks to Simon and all helpers.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Thanks for coming along Darren....mind if i was to cut and paste the above for the Macc site write up and use it in the write up for the Fellrunner? Trouble is when you organise the race, you have to ask for details from those who took part when you have enough on your plate and the runners are panting and sweating!!!

Simon Cartledge

Fill your boots mate, it was great to see on Saturday. Take care and thanks again.

This has come round again. See calendar for details. 14.30 start but registration opening at about 13.00. All proceeds to MIND, as last year. It might be raining today but the always shines on Teggs.

Simon Cartledge