Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trip to the dentist

Trip to the dentist

Fillings hurt more these days. Why don't they send you out to the waiting room for a while so the local can travel around your jaw? Yesterday he was drilling after less than 10mins which was quite sharp on more than one occasion. It wasn't until i got up and walked out afterwards that i felt properly numbed up.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I'm convinced all dentists have a strong sadistic streak to them and a warped sense of humour.
    Not only is the premature fracking in your tooth slightly painfull but when you leave the conversation between dentist and assistant goes: "Great job, now he'll go straight to the coffee shop, dribble hot coffee down his front and burn his mouth, nice result, high five buddy"!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I'm convinced all dentists have a strong sadistic streak to them and a warped sense of humour.
    Not only is the premature fracking in your tooth slightly painfull but when you leave the conversation between dentist and assistant goes: "Great job, now he'll go straight to the coffee shop, dribble hot coffee down his front and burn his mouth, nice result, high five buddy"!
    My dentist is gentle,informative, patient and has carried out some complicated work well several times for me (I admit this is private work).

You may think this is ironic but he was an army dentist for 20+ years, served in Afghanistan etc, and so can use a rifle.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Fillings hurt more these days. Why don't they send you out to the waiting room for a while so the local can travel around your jaw? Yesterday he was drilling after less than 10mins which was quite sharp on more than one occasion. It wasn't until i got up and walked out afterwards that i felt properly numbed up.
    Top or bottom tooth? The block to numb the lower teeth needs to get the nerve before it enters the bone of the lower jaw, and is a bit trickier to get right. One of my previous dentists admitted it was partly guess work - he was very good, now unfortunately retired.

I had a lower rear molar out on Monday. My dentist gave me a small local to start and then another 5 or 6 more over at least a 20 min period. In between each one she was testing for numbness and asking me what I could or couldn't feel.

I told her that she didn't have to keep hiding the syringe/needle behind her back every time!

After around 30 seconds of wiggling and pulling, out it came as clean as a whistle.

I asked if I could see it and as I saw it on a tissue I suddenly smelled something rancid which she pointed out was coming from the brown area/infection a little way down the root. No wonder it had been giving me some jip for a while!

A totally pain free event, although it is always the anticipation of imminent pain that causes me to be tense throughout. I did have to sit in the waiting room for 10 minutes afterwards as I felt a bit woosey, probably from the anaesthetic
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I had one molar out few years back that came out fine, so when the next one needed doing as was split I didn't hesitate to say yes.
    Nightmare as the dentist couldn't shift it and was pulling, pushing and breaking bits off with pliers, I really went through it for 15 minutes of effort. He gave up in the end and I'm left with the root still in the gum (mainly healed over) and a pointed bit of tooth poking through - like a mountain top showing through the clouds.
    Not a great experience, should have known what was coming when I saw the box of snapon tools in the corner and he asked the nurse for the impact driver from the third drawer down
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Top or bottom tooth? The block to numb the lower teeth needs to get the nerve before it enters the bone of the lower jaw, and is a bit trickier to get right. One of my previous dentists admitted it was partly guess work - he was very good, now unfortunately retired.
    Top row, second from the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    My dentist is gentle,informative, patient and has carried out some complicated work well several times for me (I admit this is private work).

You may think this is ironic but he was an army dentist for 20+ years, served in Afghanistan etc, and so can use a rifle.
    Whats him name and where is his clinic, G?

Whats him name and where is his clinic, G?
    Graham McElhinney, BUPA Guiseley.

He got his degree from Leeds University so must be the right stuff!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Top row, second from the back.
    I also had an appointment today, with two fillings in the top row (amalgam and one white) - the last molar (wisdom) and the next to molar as well. Just under 2 hrs in the chair and the local worked fine. Literally, and metaphorically, stiff upper-lip

The Dentist had wondered if he'd need to remove one of the teeth, or possibly need to cap it (££££!), but on 'entry' and drilling around, found it wasn't as bad as the x-rays had suggested. So, consequently, my BMI has crept up incrementally with all that weighty amalgam.

NHS £360 in total. Job done!

https://project-nerd.com/wp-content/...chard-Kiel.jpg
    Last edited by Mossdog; 03-02-2023 at 09:27 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai