Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Killing of Raptors

The debate in Parliament was never going to be an easy ride for those in favour of a ban, the grouse shooting brigade were always going to wheel out their mates in the tory party, Coffeys words are nothingmore than hollow soundbites. The grouse shooting industry will continue to slaughter raptors and anything else that may affect the sacred grouse and gamekeepers and their paymasters willcontinue to get away with it, but their card is well and truly marked, the clock is ticking.

I'll not wade into right and wrongs.

But I'd be genuinely interested to see some info on ex grouse moors and how they've faired after artificial management. Assuming there is an example? I cant actually think of any.
    pies

[QUOTE=molehill;628213... I don't think the hen harrier has much chance and a ban on grouse moors would be it's death knell.[/QUOTE]

I would rather see the death knell of the Hen Harrier through a ban rather than see it suffer at the hands of the grouse brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    But I'd be genuinely interested to see some info on ex grouse moors and how they've faired after artificial management. Assuming there is an example? I cant actually think of any.
    This is a point I genuinely don't know and nobody has answered for me. I'm guessing (and I don't know) that somewhere in England the RSPB must have a reserve that is suitable upland habitat - heather - for grouse and harrier.
    I have thought that this would be promoted as a working alternative with a good population of many species (including the above) and shown as an example.
    If it exists it is never mentioned in debate, perhaps I have missed it, it would strengthen the anti grouse lobby argument considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    This is a point I genuinely don't know and nobody has answered for me. I'm guessing (and I don't know) that somewhere in England the RSPB must have a reserve that is suitable upland habitat - heather - for grouse and harrier.
    I have thought that this would be promoted as a working alternative with a good population of many species (including the above) and shown as an example.
    If it exists it is never mentioned in debate, perhaps I have missed it, it would strengthen the anti grouse lobby argument considerably.
    I would say the nearest to this is Big Moor east of Curbar/Froggat edge. there is a thriving population of Red deer, Adders amongst many others, I don't believe there is a grouse shoot on that land. a friend did a blog on it...I'll try and find it for you

Please do Ian, genuine interest!

Here we go again.
    Satellite-tagged Hen Harriers continue to be persecuted.
    Who will side with the grouse brigade after reading these blogs?

https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wo...national-park/

http://markavery.info/2016/11/11/lads/

Oh! But there's no proof so how can you say that it's anything to do with grouse shooting?

In the November issue of Now Then magazine - http://nowthenmagazine.com/sheffield...crime-scenery/

More bad news and on my patch again.

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/20...orkshire-dales

Probably bird flu, 2 buzzards and a peregrine have already been recorded with it (Scotland, Yorkshire, west country), so heaven knows how many other raptors have died and not been picked up.