Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Killing of Raptors

After a run round Walshaw Moor yesterday, I finally got round to ordering and reading Inglorious.

Very enlightening. Thanks Wharfeego for the many recommendations.

Master
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Reported on Grough - https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/20...orth-yorkshire No bird flu affected this bird, twas lead shot!
    Yes, shot, not good.
    Out of interest, do you see many buzzards and kites up there? Down here there are masses, too many in a lot of people's opinion (nothing to do with shooting) and feel they have a detrimental effect on other wildlife. I think possibly the kite feeding centres help support an unnatural balance of those raptors.

There are constantly kites over the town gardens (which is nice to see) and diving down for scraps, even seen one diving and taking food off the pavement in the middle of town (like in medieval times in London). Gives an idea of the population of kites and quite common to see over 10 buzzards in the sky at once and kits permanently over the village. I also have sparrowhawk in the garden and a goshawk trying to eat my quail once - those sods decimate people's chickens in the valley - peregrine often in the sky as well, in case something escapes!
    No shortage of hookbeaks here. But you won't see a hare, rabbit or snake and the moorland is pretty barren of life, other than sheep and a few small ground nesting birds during the summer months.

Lots of Kites as they have been released and fed at Harewood for years, though there are a number that have been found shot locally. Hardly any buzzards, though there has been one about over Otley recently. A lot of Kestrels and the occasional merlin on the moors. Nothing else though - no harriers, goshawks etc.
    I spend a lot of time in Mid Wales - North of Llanidloes, and its a completely diffrent picture there with way more raptors.
    Could do with more raptors round my allotment which would be decimated by the huge population of pidgeons and rabbits, if I didnt spend a fortune on nets.

Llanidloes was home for 25 years, not too far away for the last 5 years. Walking to our local pub today to watch the rugby there were a pair of peregrines circling overhead. Good omen for Wales I though. That went t**s up

...Could do with more raptors round my allotment which would be decimated by the huge population of pidgeons
    Would they be of the Walter variety?

Interesting. I wonder if it's the same suspects who are responsible for the banning of a well known 62-mile event from accessing whole tracts of supposedly open access moorland?

I don't know the area, but if there are sheep and lambs around there I certainly wouldn't rule out a farmer being responsible for any shooting. Kites are not that popular with some sheep farmers around lambing time.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Get out of this one Mr Gamekeeper.
    And guess what? He did.
    Unbelievable.
    https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wo...video-footage/