Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Women winning outright

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I have just seen that in last year's Tryfan Downhill Dash, the first two finishers were women. There were only 8 competitors altogether, and the times were not specially fast; but the result is notable, since I get the impression that the gap between male and female performance tends to be greater in downhill lunacy than in standard fell races.

http://www.eryriharriers.org.uk/tryfan-downhill-dash-2/ but I haven't seen a full set of results.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Sara Willhoit, recently narrowly beaten into 2nd place at Snowdon, won the Middletown Hill Race outright last night in Shropshire.

Historically women have comprised about 10-12% of both attempts and successes on the Bob Graham Round. Someone, somewhere (might have been Graham) corrected my assumption that this was about the same percentage as female FRA membership when it's actually closer to 25% (even that may be out of date).

This year women comprise 20% , actual numbers are 17/83, of successful rounds (it was at 25% about halfway through the season). Not sure why the sudden rise and obviously I've no idea whether it's a one-off or the start of a long term trend.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Historically women have comprised about 10-12% of both attempts and successes on the Bob Graham Round. Someone, somewhere (might have been Graham) corrected my assumption that this was about the same percentage as female FRA membership when it's actually closer to 25% (even that may be out of date).

This year women comprise 20% , actual numbers are 17/83, of successful rounds (it was at 25% about halfway through the season). Not sure why the sudden rise and obviously I've no idea whether it's a one-off or the start of a long term trend.
    Yes 25% is still OK. The percentage varies with age bands, not least for historical reasons, so it is 44% for 0-20 years but only 1% for 80+.

(with acknowledgement to CCC data bank)
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Bill what's the completion success percentage for women on the BG?
    I noted in 2020 (having done mine) that 6 women attempted and had 100% completion rate.
    I think it dropped in the following year, though the most important - Mrs. Ba-Ba (though not then Mrs. Ba-Ba, but was by the presentation) got around.

I wonder if there's a case of daft men with an overactive ego overestimating their skills and ability, whilst women can have the opposite problem, and are therefore less likely to have a go?
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post

I wonder if there's a case of daft men with an overactive ego overestimating their skills and ability, whilst women can have the opposite problem, and are therefore less likely to have a go?
    Mmmh. I think that neatly summarises the human condition.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Bill what's the completion success percentage for women on the BG?
    I noted in 2020 (having done mine) that 6 women attempted and had 100% completion rate.
    I think it dropped in the following year, though the most important - Mrs. Ba-Ba (though not then Mrs. Ba-Ba, but was by the presentation) got around.

You are asking the wrong bloke! (or at least have got my name wrong :-) )

Prior to me taking over the membership role there's no actual numbers of attempts vs successes, just the successes are recorded. Since I implemented a registration database in late 2012 we now have that info. The following table has male attempts/successes in cols 2 & 3 and female attempts/successes in cols 4 & 5. The forum doesn't format such tables very nicely so you might need to do some copy and pasting into something that will do so.

+------+----------+-----------++----------+-----------+
    | year | attempts | successes || attempts | successes |
    | 2013 |......126 |....... 57 ||...... 21 |........ 8 |
    | 2014 |......115 |....... 51 ||...... 15 |........ 6 |
    | 2015 |......127 |....... 62 ||...... 16 |........ 9 |
    | 2016 |......141 |....... 66 ||...... 29 |....... 13 |
    | 2017 |......208 |...... 102 ||...... 27 |....... 13 |
    | 2018 |......178 |....... 75 ||...... 24 |....... 14 |
    | 2019 |......201 |...... 111 ||...... 23 |....... 14 |
    | 2020 |......153 |....... 78 ||...... 16 |........ 6 |
    | 2021 |......241 |...... 125 ||...... 40 |....... 17 |
    | 2022 |......173 |....... 65 ||...... 39 |....... 17 |
    Last edited by Bob; 08-08-2022 at 07:55 PM.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Across those years, the average rate for men and women completions is almost identical. 47.6% for men, 46.8% for women.

This year has been a shocker for men. 37.5% vs 48.3% for the other years combined.
    Last edited by noel; 11-08-2022 at 12:59 PM.

Ah but that is people who register an attempt - it doesn't actually mean they started - which is data that I imagine doesn't exist, or if it does is incredibly dirty.

Hence when I said '6 women tried in 2020 and all got round', the data suggests this is correct, but 16 may have registered and only 6 may have started. Or I read 16, omitted the 1 and read 6.

The numbers for this year may yet improve as people may be planning a late-summer go, though we are out of prime silly season.

Bob/Bill you think I'd have worked this out by now...
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Number of actual starts would be very useful data. And for those who didn't complete - how far did they get?