Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Women winning outright

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Women winning outright

So, Jasmin Paris and Nicky Spinks have each become outright holders of long-distance challenge records this year; but neither of them (to the best of my knowledge) has ever won a race outright, although Jasmin came 3rd at Wasdale in 2014. However, women have been doing well in recent FRA-listed races in the Deep South, with Annie Conway's 2nd place (by 9 seconds) at Exe to Axe in 2015 and Sarah Rollins's 2nd place at Surrey Hills (Long course) in the same year. And it is near the South Coast that the most famous (because it appears to have been the first) outright victory by a woman was recorded (though not in a FRA race): Sarah Rowell's win at the Beachy Head Marathon in 1986. According to the list at the bottom of http://www.arrs.net/TR_Mara2.htm , she seems to have started a trend of women winning off-road marathons (mostly in North America).

Victories by women in overseas ultra races also seem to be fairly common, and I know of Carolyn Hunter-Rowe's 1991 win at the Round Rotherham Run. But what about shorter fell races? I know of two outright victories by women: Carol Greenwood at Erringden Moor in 1998, and Katie Walshaw at Coiners in 2014 (what is it about the moors above Calderdale?). There was also a win by Sarah MacCormack at a road race in fell country, the Langdale 10k in 2014; this race was also unusual in that more than half the 624 competitors were female.

I have done a fair amount of rooting around in websites of foreign mountain races (not ultras), but the only examples of outright wins by women that I have come across were both in Alaska. There was Allie Ostrander's 2014 win in the very competitive Mount Marathon Junior Race (over 100 boys and over 100 girls). The other case is back in 1990, at The Bird Ridge race, a 3-mile uphill-only event with 3400 feet of climbing. In a field of 38 men and 10 women, Nancy Pease finished 94 seconds clear of the first man. Her times in 1992 and 1993 were even faster, but on both those occasions one man managed to beat her. And she is still going strong, having set a new W50 record on this course in 2015.

PS Is Carolyn Hunter-Rowe any relation to Joan Hunter Dunn http://www.poetseers.org/poets/john-betjeman/love-song/ ?
    Last edited by anthonykay; 29-10-2016 at 01:16 PM.

Banned
    Darwin gala about 5 year ago was won by a lady I remember the applause at the prize giving was tremendous.
    WP will name her of the top of his head, but I'm sorry I can't.

Shelli Gordon of New Marske Harriers 2nd outright at Hardmoors 160 in 2015 I think, and 1st outright at Lyke Wake Walk 2012
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

2014 Tooting Bec 24 hour track race, top 3 places were all women, with Fionna Ross winning in a new Scottish 24 hour record of 234km ( 145 miles )
    http://statistik.d-u-v.org/getresult...hp?event=20822

The 2015 version of the same race had women in first 2 places, with Beth Pascall winning in 230km

Not sure what happened in 2016, first lady was "only" 11th

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Darwin gala about 5 year ago was won by a lady I remember the applause at the prize giving was tremendous.
    WP will name her of the top of his head, but I'm sorry I can't.
    2012 Annabelle Mason was the winner

Helene Diamantides and the 1992 Dragon's Back?
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Banned
    Cheers Martins Mrs, and it was a proper fell race not a long distance war of attrition.

Cononley Fell Race
    18th June 2011
    cat time
    1 Mary Wilkinson Bingley F 00:26:37

Master
    An observation I made last winter http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...An-observation

I guess we are seeing the fruits of their commitment
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    So, Jasmin Paris and Nicky Spinks have each become outright holders of long-distance challenge records this year; but neither of them (to the best of my knowledge) has ever won a race outright,
    I believe Nicky won the long ultra lakes in a day or 10 peaks race, can't remember which one but will try and find out, about 2 or 3 years ago