Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Women winning outright

There's a couple of issues.

Men have been running ultra distance since the year dot.

Women have only been running marathons for 40 odd years and it matters.

I think also in coaching of the last 20 years or so, there's been a lot of pressure on coaches, particularly in the western world via the LTAD system, to under work young athletes.

I was once at a North West coaches conference and our speaker advocated Year 9/10 girls train twice a week and if racing only once.
    The idea was to allow them to develop and step it up as they matured and strengthened, thereby avoiding burnout.

I knew the coach well and his club.

I asked how many senior women he had in training. I knew it was zero

I can see in the next 20-30 years that women will close the gap from the 10% at endurance events from Half Marathon upwards.
    Greater exposure, better training methods to suit them, and greater numbers taking part.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    There's a couple of issues.

Men have been running ultra distance since the year dot.

Women have only been running marathons for 40 odd years and it matters.

I think also in coaching of the last 20 years or so, there's been a lot of pressure on coaches, particularly in the western world via the LTAD system, to under work young athletes.

I was once at a North West coaches conference and our speaker advocated Year 9/10 girls train twice a week and if racing only once.
    The idea was to allow them to develop and step it up as they matured and strengthened, thereby avoiding burnout.

I knew the coach well and his club.

I asked how many senior women he had in training. I knew it was zero

I can see in the next 20-30 years that women will close the gap from the 10% at endurance events from Half Marathon upwards.
    Greater exposure, better training methods to suit them, and greater numbers taking part.
    "Close the gap?" "2%,1%,0.5%, 0.1%?

If your argument is sound the trend lines will support your view now - or not.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    "Close the gap?" "2%,1%,0.5%, 0.1%?

If your argument is sound the trend lines will support your view now - or not.
    Maybe I should have said "could" close the gap rather than "will" because there are a lot of factors at play.

But take the marathon.

In 40 years the mens has improved from 2:08:18 Di Costello, to 2:01:09 so 5.6% improvement and over the same time the ladies has gone from 2:26:12 Joan Benoit to 2:14:04 so 8.3% improvement.

I know it's just a random date and distance, but the gap has closed and I can see that the women could take another 5 minutes off that in the next decade, but 2 minutes would be a huge ask for the men.

So the closing gap, could close further.

Biggest issue though could be depth/numbers. More men running, bigger base and more quality and depth such as we see in some other sports.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Better performances in women's events always raises in my mind the possibility of performance enhancing drugs - they can be more effective in women because of their naturally lower testosterone levels.

Having said that, for a long time training programs were designed around men, and as that changes I have no doubt the "gap" will narrow, but I don't think it will close.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Caroline Lambert (Middlesbrough AC) won Toms Bransdale Fell Race (organised by Esk Valley Fell Club) by 3 seconds last Wednesday.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Yeh, saw that. Another one to add to a burgeoning list.

Caroline Lambert has been running well, and beat the likes of Sarah McCormack and Sara Willhoit at the inter-counties, so certainly of the ability to win a lot of races outright.

Caroline almost won a couple of weeks ago at Whorlton on the NY moors (admittedly more of a road and trail race) but she took a wrong turn late on. She was so far ahead she didn't realise no-one was following behind her!

https://www.racetecresults.com/resul...=20223&RId=120
    Katie Walshaw came close at Whaley Waltz