Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Litton Christmas Cracker

Litton Christmas Cracker Fell Race

Deck the hall with boughs of holly,
    Fa, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la!
    ‘Tis the season to be jolly.

Every year we’d deck the hallway with boughs of holly then unwittingly spend weeks trampling berries into the fibres of the hall carpet. The living room carpet didn’t fare any better with sap residue from the Christmas tree often leaving sticky marks. I’d rearrange the furniture to cover the most stubborn stains, resulting in the awkward placement of furnishings which subsequently played havoc with the ‘feng shui’ of the room. The last thing you want at Christmas is negative energy. It became apparent that a real tree and decorative foliage didn’t bode well in the confines of an insulated energy efficient dwelling.

After purchasing new carpets we’ve since gone artificial as it’s less damaging:

Alison likes the smell of a real tree so I suggested hanging in-car pine scented air fresheners from the branches of the artificial one. She said “yeah they’ll look great alongside the fuzzy dice”. My wife can be quite sarcastic at times. My other suggestion of an Air Wick Essential Mist Diffuser in scented mulled wine wasn’t met with the same ridicule and unsurprisingly a potential purchase was browsed online.

On our way to today’s race in the Peak District we’re discussing unwanted presents. Alison bursts out laughing and reminds me about the time I’d received ‘puppies’ off my mum. In amongst the usual gifts of socks and a jumper my mum excelled herself with a ‘I love puppies’ poster featuring Golden Retrievers. At the time I was 40 years old and owned a Border Terrier. It amused Alison then and it still does now, every year she’ll say “Darren have you still not decided where to hang your puppies poster?”. I’m now bored with my wife’s poster leg pulling, unfortunately she isn’t.

My mate Vinny surprised his wife one year when he bought her a car jack for Christmas. He even went to the trouble of buying a blue one to match the colour of her car. Vinny’s wife didn’t share his enthusiasm for car accessories. Even after he’d informed her that cheaper jacks were available but he’d bought the one with a rubberised soft grip handle for easy cranking...she still remained unimpressed. I guess there’s no pleasing some folk.

Vinny’s wife surprised him the following year. His gift from her was a packet of Duracell AAA batteries with a note saying ‘Presents not included’. He’s since pointed out that the car jack is the inferior gift as it’s never been used unlike the batteries which currently reside in the TV remote. I look forward to finding out what crap they buy each other this year.

Litton Christmas Cracker can be quite an experience. It’s a great route along picturesque dales, through woodland and over open countryside with a mid-race surprise...weather permitting. After sufficient downpours the river will completely flood the riverside path that runs through the eye catching Water-cum-Jolly Dale. You’ll experience knee deep (depending on your leg length) ice cold dirty water for a good few hundred yards whilst hopefully remaining on the path. Keep to the left or prepare yourself for a swim. This section is very trying on the legs but great fun...Christmas Cracker? Yeah, most certainly!

Many thanks to the lovely Sue and Nigel and all their helpers...Merry Christmas!

Once home it’s the simple things in life that are truly appreciated. We leave a change of clothes on the radiators whilst showering. In Alison’s words “changing into heated clothing is like receiving a warm hug”...hear, hear! A ‘warm hug’ whilst watching our Christmas film guilty pleasure, ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’...now that’s appreciating the simple things!

‘Tis the season to be jolly!
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Another great write up Daz. But what happened to the puppy poster?...
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Another great write up Daz. But what happened to the puppy poster?...
    A puppy is for life....not just for Christmas

Only 10 places left for this years race.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Another well organised Christmas Cracker by Sue/Nigel and their team. Mercia sent a raiding party up and Jack Agnew took the glory. Just about recovered from the Wrekin Wrecker I managed to get back in 43rd place to claim 1st V60

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Another well organised Christmas Cracker by Sue/Nigel and their team. Mercia sent a raiding party up and Jack Agnew took the glory. Just about recovered from the Wrekin Wrecker I managed to get back in 43rd place to claim 1st V60
    Racking up the age-category prizes at the moment...!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Racking up the age-category prizes at the moment...!
    Well, I do seem to be ticking along nicely at the moment Travs but it will no doubt end in tears!

At the end of races I am absolutely knackered and take a few days to recover. People say things like "why don't you take it easier and you will enjoy it more". Absolute bollocks.

To me, once I've got a number pinned on my chest, it has to be 100% or nothing. I cannot see the point of entering a race and not competing.

I am probably trying to make up for my wasted 30's, 40's and early 50's when, for various reasons, I did no running at all.

My advice to all you youngsters is to go for it whilst you can because, once over 60, recovery is frustrating and hard bloody work!

There are a few zig zags on the new route as you come down into cressbrook, is it possible to cut some of the corners off? Given that the FRA are reducing flagging etc.

Water-Cum-Jolly-Dale?????
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Bit QAH, maybe I've hit on a Derbyshire secret here. Reckon I'll sally forth anyway, what could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    There are a few zig zags on the new route as you come down into cressbrook, is it possible to cut some of the corners off? Given that the FRA are reducing flagging etc.

Water-Cum-Jolly-Dale?????
    A number of people I know have recced the route recently and all have followed the zig zag. I'm not aware of any physical barrier to straightening things out but zig takes you down to the traversing path which is the zag. Perhaps it might be flagged, I don't know.

I'd be more worried about the river crossing as the Wye is in spate!