Thread: Baslow Bolt

Baslow Bolt

Classed as a BM Fell Race, the 7 miles and 1,200 feet of the Baslow Bolt is more of a tough XC outing as it takes in lots of farmland before the main climb up to, and along Baslow Edge.

Very well organised as a fund raiser for Baslow C of E Primary School and Baslow Church it had an entry of 350 although only 279 made it to the start line.

Knowing that there was a major pinch point stile 400 yds in, saw me at the front of the start line with the racing snakes, but I was still down to around 25th by the time we got there.

I was overtaken by some runners in the first half of the race, who had obviously got held up at the start, but managed to pull back a few places on the climb.

The race was won by Dr Andrew Heyes, GB marathon runner and a 14.17 Park Runner, in 47.13, taking over 3 mins off the record. His wife Lauren was 1st lady and 6th overall taking 5 minutes off the ladies record. Not usually fell runners they were running in memory of Andrew's sister who passed away in 2018 and whose 3 children still attend Baslow School.

I got around without any nav errors 1hr 3mins, 31st overall and 1st M60.

An enjoyable local race raising money for the community and with the best selection of home made cakes I have ever seen, which were included in the entrance fee.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 28-11-2022 at 11:26 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Maybe a good thing that I didn't go, given that I don't particularly like running among crowded fields. I entered a bit late, was put on the wait-list, and got an email 8 days before the race to say that I had an entry. I was in any case feeling that I had lost some fitness while in Singapore, but as it turned out, the decision not to go was made for me by ASLEF. So my next race will be the Gaddesby Gallop (which is within cycling distance of home, so no worries about railway strikes), assuming that my wife doesn't find something else we absolutely must do on the Saturday 8 days before Christmas. This one also has a pinch-point stile, about half a mile out; it's entirely farmland, apart from the stretch of road through the village of Barsby.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Classed as a BM Fell Race, the 7 miles and 1,200 feet of the Baslow Bolt is more of a tough XC outing as it takes in lots of farmland before the main climb up to, and along Baslow Edge.

Very well organised as a fund raiser for Baslow C of E Primary School and Baslow Church it had an entry of 350 although only 279 made it to the start line.

Knowing that there was a major pinch point stile 400 yds in, saw me at the front of the start line with the racing snakes, but I was still down to around 25th by the time we got there.

I was overtaken by some runners in the first half of the race, who had obviously got held up at the start, but managed to pull back a few places on the climb.

The race was won by Dr Andrew Heyes, GB marathon runner and a 14.17 Park Runner, in 47.13, taking over 3 mins off the record. His wife Lauren was 1st lady and 6th overall taking 5 minutes off the ladies record. Not usually fell runners they were running in memory of Andrew's sister who passed away in 2018 and whose 3 children still attend Baslow School.

I got around without any nav errors 1hr 3mins, 31st overall and 1st M60.

An enjoyable local race raising money for the community and with the best selection of home made cakes I have ever seen, which were included in the entrance fee.
    I ran this again on Saturday.

Almost identical to last year.

Same winner, same 1st M60 and 31st overall (but I got around 3 minutes quicker), same fantastic array of cakes.

The main difference was the record 336 starters this year but unfortunately 64 no shows leaving a large disappointed waiting list.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog