Thread: Getting back to it

Getting back to it

So I've not run due to injury since last Easter and been off my bike since June (looking at peak 60mpw running plus 8hrs or so cycling). Assuming I can stay injury free, how long does it take to rebuild endurance and speed? I appreciate there are lots of variables but anecdotally has Anyone had similar experiences taking a year out and how long the rebuild has taken? Cheers, Matt

Clue's in your question Matthew: 'injury free'. Be willing to pull back. Best of luck.

Now look there, another stone this glasshouse.
    Measure the whole Surface of the Earth with our own feet. Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    So I've not run due to injury since last Easter and been off my bike since June (looking at peak 60mpw running plus 8hrs or so cycling). Assuming I can stay injury free, how long does it take to rebuild endurance and speed? I appreciate there are lots of variables but anecdotally has Anyone had similar experiences taking a year out and how long the rebuild has taken? Cheers, Matt
    If you look at my comeback thread, that began after over a year out including 3 false starts IIRC. The key is to resign yourself to the fact that you cannot argue or fight your way around physiological damage to your body. As soon as you let your mind convince you that you'll be ok you are on a losing streak. Everything has to be planned, measured and attainable; if all 3 of those are not dead certs you sit on your arse and get as much heat or cold into the affected area as you can and wait until next time. Do roughly the same thing on the same day every time for 6-8wks, and only think about making step changes on those timescales. Short, fast runs are more damaging that longer slower runs too. It took me the better part of 3yrs to get up to 3 runs a week, it all culminated in a 38.38 10k which wasn't too shabby all things considered. It really can take that long to get over chronic injuries because some of the tissues in the body take sooo long to heal and adapt.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent