Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thumb compasses

Does anyone remember those Clarke's Pathfinder shoes?
    In my youth my mum used to buy these for me ~ they had animal pawprints as grips and a compass hidden in the heel which looked liked this.

I don't think they'd pass FRA kit check though.................
    See the light in the night

the ultimate fell shoe! tie a whistle to the laces and you're well on your way to passing the kit inspection!
    Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Does anyone remember those Clarke's Pathfinder shoes?
    In my youth my mum used to buy these for me ~ they had animal pawprints as grips and a compass hidden in the heel which looked liked this.

I don't think they'd pass FRA kit check though.................

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Back to the subject of my original post. My thumb compass has a fixed bezel, so not so good for accurate navigation as those with a rotating bezel. And if I do get to Dan's Hoofstones Race, I will take my conventional compass, because I don't want a kit-checker to have the hassle of deciding whether I am properly equipped (but it may stay in my bumbag all the way round, while my thumb compass stays on my thumb).

Don't get the two compasses in close proximity otherwise neither of them will point to North
    See the light in the night

fixed bezel thumb passes allow you to take a rough bearing.
    rotating bezel compasses allow you to take fine bearings.

I suppose it's up to the organiser whether he's happy with your ability to use 'rough compass'! - although I suppose most Fell Runner's compass work could be described as 'rough'...
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Don't mess about, compass with a baseplate.
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound

So off the back of this thread I bought a Moscow 3 thumb compass with rotating bezel and ability to take a proper bearing, but I had a play using it as a standard thumb compass today on ilkley moor; i.e. Put compass in direction of travel and rotate yourself so that the needle points north without rotating the bezel. It was a revelation for me. Really easy to use and felt much more natural than how I've always done it with a standard compass. Can't believe I've never used them before. Recommended.

I really rate my Moscow compass, quality bit of kit. I'd like it even more if they did an attachment strap for MTBO like Silva do

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I really rate my Moscow compass, quality bit of kit. I'd like it even more if they did an attachment strap for MTBO like Silva do
    Ditto I love mine it's part of my fell race kit and my go to compass for orienteering. Mine has the graduated bezel so I can use it as a thumb compass is intended to be used or take proper bearing if required.

Moscompass used to do a wrist compass version and they used to sell the wrist kit so you could just pop your capsule out of the base plate and fit it to the wrist kit. I can't see it on the official website but I have just searched "Moscompass" on ebay there are some on there. I'm sure you could get a snug fit on the bars if you padded it out with foam lagging or similar.