Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Documentary

Question Documentary

Hello all,

My name is Jack, I'm a film producer based in Manchester who is in the process of making a short film about a fell runner. As a complete novice to the sport, I just wanted to ask the community a few questions so we can make the film as accurate and honest as possible if anyone had any insight they would like to share that would be fantastically helpful!

Firstly, what inspires you to fell run? When you're at the 18th mile and you feel like you're about to die what is it that keeps you going?

What initially inspired you to try it out?

Through my research there seems to be a pattern of older people being devoted fell runners - more so than in allot of other sports - can anyone shine a light on this?

Out of interest, there seems to be a lot of excentricities in the sport, has anyone got any partially interesting examples of this?

The community seems to be a vital aspect, everyone I have spoken to sings the fell running communities praises, why do you think this is?

(This is a lot more trivial!) One of the title ideas for the film is "Mud, Sweat and Mountineers" This has split the crew down the middle, do you think you could call a fell runner a mountaineer?!

Finally, this is a fact finding mission, so if there is anything fundamental to the sport that should be covered by a film on it that anyone wants to share I would love to hear from you

Thanks for any help you guys can give us, I massively appreciate it and - if there is any interest - I'll keep you all updated on the film.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    There are far better qualified people to comment on most of those questions than me. However, I doubt you could call a fell runner a mountaineer - well not in the true sense of the word anyway.
    Fundamental to the sport is obviously beer and food, and the ability to talk incessantly about the merits of various running shoes whilst not ever paying full price for them!

Good luck with the film!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Haha, thanks Pete, sadly the grand shoe debates aren't as cinematic as the running!

That does seem to be the consensus on Mountaineers - back to the drawing board for a title I guess!

Cheers for your help!

Banned
    Never done 18m in a race but the desire to challenge yourself against the elements and terrain is what drives me forward.

The chat is good too, no one asks about times, just the run, your lines, the grip, the view etc plus the best in the country are on the same start line and queues for the bar as the average folks.

Just having a go at a short race jack and you will broaden you knowledge.

All the best with your film, hope we get to see the final version (
    please?

Jaack

‘Mud and Sweat’ that’s really good. Not so ‘Mountaineers’ - sound like something involving talent and skill.

Okay, better be able to navigate. Not so concerned about distance as the total ascent, if it’s more than 2,000’, you’ll need to navigate. If you retire, you need to report back to the start before you get into the bath.

Best in a club. You will not be alone when you are alone on the fell.

That’s about it, unless you’re talked into organising. Resist that one unless you can sleep under fire.

My late mate liked ‘Hill’ (he was North of the Border’) Running because of the ‘complete lack of bullshit’. Watch out, Jaack, it’s far worse than that. More like understatement. On your first start line you’ll think you’re likely to win a pair of those so-expensive trainers. Do not believe all the crap you’re hearing; no training, bad virus for months, nursing a strained calf, broke me leg. On the other side of that line you are going to see a line of receding, peat-stained, well-worn heels.

‘a lot of excentricities ‘. There you go, Mud, Sweat and Eccentrics’

Eddie
    Measure the whole Surface of the Earth with our own feet. Don Quixote

It might be worth asking the same question on the Fell Runners Association Facebook page as it's more popular nowadays than the forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/44498401718/

As for eccentricities I recently ran up the same mountain 60 days on the trot to celebrate my 60th birthday so, yes, I suspect that we're a complete bunch of weirdos

[QUOTE=Jaack;629932]Hello all,

My name is Jack, I'm a film producer based in Manchester who is in the process of making a short film about a fell runner. As a complete novice to the sport, I just wanted to ask the community a few questions so we can make the film as accurate and honest as possible if anyone had any insight they would like to share that would be fantastically helpful!

Firstly, what inspires you to fell run? When you're at the 18th mile and you feel like you're about to die what is it that keeps you going?
    You can feel like you're about to die in the first half mile of a 1.5ml race, try not to focus on distance too much. Competetiveness keeps me going, the need to beat people to the finish.

What initially inspired you to try it out?
    The sense of adventure.

Through my research there seems to be a pattern of older people being devoted fell runners - more so than in allot of other sports - can anyone shine a light on this?
    You never lose your love for the fells, that and your love of good craic with good lads and lasses.(I am not a vet, however!)

Out of interest, there seems to be a lot of excentricities in the sport, has anyone got any partially interesting examples of this?
    It's a working class sport, and one where you can be yourself without suffering judgement. I think it's more the case that people just let themselves go in a way that you can't do anywhere else.

The community seems to be a vital aspect, everyone I have spoken to sings the fell running communities praises, why do you think this is?
    We all have a lot in common.

(This is a lot more trivial!) One of the title ideas for the film is "Mud, Sweat and Mountineers" This has split the crew down the middle, do you think you could call a fell runner a mountaineer?!
    No, absolutely not. The two are separate disciplines.

Finally, this is a fact finding mission, so if there is anything fundamental to the sport that should be covered by a film on it that anyone wants to share I would love to hear from you
    There is a big connection between village galas and short distance racing, go to a gala- i suggest Arncliffe Gala. Whatever you do, don't forget about BOFRA, they are a fundamental part of the sport.

Thanks for any help you guys can give us, I massively appreciate it and - if there is any interest - I'll keep you all updated on the film.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Don't forget the cake...we run with the promise of cake...

Having been injured for what feels like ages I can't wait to get back to it because I have met friends at races that I would never have met otherwise. Fell running clears the head in the way that pounding the streets never will. We may be a bit older than other sports, but on the whole we'll beat the whipper snappers on a regular basis because it's not just about raw pace, but also skills, navigation and route finding. It's not 30 times round a lap, it's point A to point B in the fastest possible way, which often tests how steep a hill you can face going up, or more terrifyingly, coming down.

And cake.
    Shaved my dreads off...now just 'Jeff'...

Mud?? Sweat?? Nah, thats for the daft folk that think nothing of paying £50 quid for the privilege of crawling through nettles in some sh*tty field.
    Fell running is far more noble than that! 'Toil To The Top'. 'Scraping the Sky'. 'Ultimate High'............something like that.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Oh yeah, and 'Who ate all the cake??......' !
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth