Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pennine Way Records !!

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    Agreed - interesting book from a different time.

Does anyone know the fastest women's time?
    It is a brilliant and inspiring book. However, my copy (given to me by Jez - thanks Jez! - which I'll pass on in turn) seems to have some pages missing. The first half of the book ends abruptly mid telling of his 1989 attempt at a second (other direction) sub 3 hour PW. So I don't know how that attempt ended! Turn the page and it's the start of the section which contains his collected essays/articles.

Is this the same in all editions of the book? Mine is the 2009 re-print by Hayloft publishing.

Cheers

p.s. I assume Jasmine now has the women's record does she?

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post

The Spine doesn't cover the full Pennine Way route (it doesn't go up the Cheviot) so I'm not sure if it counts?
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

The Spine doesn't cover the full Pennine Way route (it doesn't go up the Cheviot) so I'm not sure if it counts?
    Aha! Good knowledge Dino!

Master
    It adds on other bits to compensate though, eg the descent into and back out of Hebden Bridge IIRC.
    But I expect you're right and it doesn't count.

The route to and then back from Hebden Hey (CP1) adds up to about the same as the out and back to the Cheviot. The Hebden Hey detour has more descent and reascent but yes, it isn;t the PW for record purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    It is a brilliant and inspiring book. However, my copy (given to me by Jez - thanks Jez! - which I'll pass on in turn) seems to have some pages missing. The first half of the book ends abruptly mid telling of his 1989 attempt at a second (other direction) sub 3 hour PW. So I don't know how that attempt ended! Turn the page and it's the start of the section which contains his collected essays/articles.

Is this the same in all editions of the book? Mine is the 2009 re-print by Hayloft publishing.

Cheers

My copy is dated 2009 and is a reprint. That chapter finishes on p179 with: "... I had no intention of losing time. Within three minutes I was away again."
    Turn the page and the font, style and clarity of image all change, suggesting that something strange happened in the reprint.
    Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Chilton View Post
    My copy is dated 2009 and is a reprint. That chapter finishes on p179 with: "... I had no intention of losing time. Within three minutes I was away again."
    Turn the page and the font, style and clarity of image all change, suggesting that something strange happened in the reprint.
    Cheers
    Steve
    I've just had a look in my copy, published 1989. In that one, the "within 3 minutes" sentence is on p171 and there are another 7 pages in that chapter. I'll not type it all here but just say that the final sentence is "But the sorrow was more than I could bear."

Excellent book - I must reread.

Cheers, Steve
    Hayfield Fell Races - https://www.t42.org.uk/hayfield/

I thought it was an omission. However, when I contacted the publishers (Hayloft publishing) the nice lady I spoke to was familiar with the book and had a copy to hand. she turned to the page in question and told me it was correct and that it had been proof read and checked by the author and was as it should be. I thought that was very odd. now I will have to hunt down a 1989 edition!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    I've just had a look in my copy, published 1989. In that one, the "within 3 minutes" sentence is on p171 and there are another 7 pages in that chapter. I'll not type it all here but just say that the final sentence is "But the sorrow was more than I could bear."

Excellent book - I must reread.

Cheers, Steve

There seem to be multiple variation in some sections of the "Pennine Way" - is there a set route for the record? What are the required 'points'?

It may not even be set-in-stone anywhere. So I guess the same route as the current record holder. But is his exact route even published?