Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Stagger, don't encourage him! You bad too!��. Hey Rose, nice of you to pop in. Saw your comments on FB. I don't post there because I'm not a habitual user. Obviously a generational thing.....it's your rock,n,roll! But I think the ability to search different topics now represents the true value of this forum. This 'down the pub' area was created for banter and drivel before FB came along and it has atrophied since. But never mind, the other resources here are still viable.
    I'm sure Brett the forum master would welcome suggestions for making this forum more appetising for the FB generation!����
    hang on I'll just take a picture of my lunch....;p

a like/dislike button would be good.

Nice to see a few old faces on here and a bit of banter...welcome back Mark...although you're not that old..

Quote Originally Posted by Martins Mrs View Post
    Or may be not folding your number to obscure the race sponsors name - mapper ��
    Errrm...........yeah
    See the light in the night

Almost without exception everybody who is a die hard (dwindling?) supporter of the forum doesn't use Facebook at all but then, in the next breath, go on to quote examples of why Facebook is so rubbish and not for them. Some one even said he doesn't use fb because his ex-wife is on there, ignoring completely that at the last count there were c 1.8 billion fb users, not all of which are suddenly your fb friends when you join 😊. I'm not a fb friend with my ex-wife for instance.

What everybody is missing is just how many interest groups there are on Facebook. Yes there's the FRA page but there's loads of others. I'm also in a Bob Graham group, an ultra running group, a run every day group, a Settle Harriers group, a handful of specific race oriented groups (ll100, fellsman, the spine etc), a couple of outdoor swimming groups, the ground conditions in Uk mountain areas group mentioned earlier, the 'we love the Yorkshire dales' group, a similar group for the Lakes....The list goes on. And I keep in touch with family and friends too. And I don't bother with stupid quizzes and generally ignore sharing cute cat videos (but do of course share cute dog videos).

Yep I agree this place can be a brilliant resource for Fell running but, really and truly, the buzz has gone and there are just too many curmudgeons per square inch nowadays.

And the place I have to say can be really unwelcoming and sexist when it wants to. So can Facebook of course but anything there is soon replaced and buried - here a weird or unwelcome comment (stagger praising trump for example) can stare you in the face for days!

I refuse to be a member of the FRA Facebook group as during my 24h-long membership I got bored of people asking what the best shoes are for the 3 peaks 18 times a day...

I may be of the 'Facebook generation' but I prefer forums, both those here and those now departed.
    Were I not a student (again) I'd probably get rid of my Facebook altogether.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    ......... I'm also in a Bob Graham group, an ultra running group, a run every day group, a Settle Harriers group, a handful of specific race oriented groups (ll100, fellsman, the spine etc), a couple of outdoor swimming groups, the ground conditions in Uk mountain areas group mentioned earlier, the 'we love the Yorkshire dales' group, a similar group for the Lakes....The list goes on..............
    Being part of all those groups and reading what's going on makes me wonder how you ever get out on the fells.
    I know you did your 60 PYG's at 60, but to be part of such a large number of groups must eat into your time reading what's going on.

Is it not being like part of a different group of friends in different pubs ~ there's only so many pubs one can visit and how much one can drink before falling over

I've been on the forum since 2007 and it works for all the reasons people have previously stated. We just need to get more of the FB people using it and realise that it IS better than FB.
    See the light in the night

Banned
    Ha Ha Ha biting again Stolly.

In my humble opinion Mr Trump was the best man and only time will tell.

The noisy minority are still moaning about most things. Trump, his policy's that got him ELECTED and Britexit etc The comment appeared only to be unwelcome by you.

Yep, It was me to who doesn't us FB because my ex does. Do you have a problem with that?

I'm pleased you enjoy your groups and FB and find them useful along with contacting family and friends. It works for you and that's good.

Just because you don't agree with something Stolly doesn't make you right.

Freedom of speech, democracy and adult banter all have a place in my world.

Feel free to carry on with the debate though.

Have a nice evening

I,m an exception!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Do I get a prize?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I have no problem with the idea that the electronic gathering place has become more diverse. Good. Each will then grow to its natural strengths.
    Dont be so negative Stollers old chap!
    Sounds like FB has got its equivalent of Gravy Invasion!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

many of the "younger generation" (whoever they are) regard Facebook as Old Peoples and use a lot of other platforms instead.
    God alone knows what they'd make of a forum...the equivalent of sending your mates postcards, I imagine....
    ....it's all downhill from here.