Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road running at night

All too believable unfortunately molehill - far too many stupid people about! Same thing with some cyclists, and drivers with no lights when its dull and in country lanes - usually in a grey car! All very well that runner taking the risk, but what effect would it have on a driver who killed him?

What I can't understand is that they must see as many other idiots doing the same, but don't register it and change their own behaviour!

The road is used by logging lorries, which often load very early and return fully laden at that time, if one of them was coming towards me with headlights on I wouldn't have had a chance of seeing the runner. Been faced with a fraction of a second to decide whether to hit him from behind or a head on into a laden logging lorry. As you say, I would have to live with whatever the consequences.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I run on winding rural lanes regularly (fells and trails aren't practical for me mid-week, sadly); I'll generally run against the traffic but I do swap sides depending upon the bends etc coming up or just passed. Obviously you need to know the route well to do this, but I follow the line now almost without thinking about it. Needless to say (I hope!) no earphones! Can hear a car long before I see it, in a lot of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerBean View Post
    I run on winding rural lanes regularly (fells and trails aren't practical for me mid-week, sadly); I'll generally run against the traffic but I do swap sides depending upon the bends etc coming up or just passed. Obviously you need to know the route well to do this, but I follow the line now almost without thinking about it. Needless to say (I hope!) no earphones! Can hear a car long before I see it, in a lot of cases.
    I do the same when on winding roads, I also use a head torch that has a rear facing red flashing light and a flashing arm band. Only had to jump out the way of cars 3 times in years and I have always felt safe.

Like you I spent many, many years running the small country roads around home, mainly during the dark winter months. It isn't difficult to be sensible and not endanger yourself or drivers, in fact it is so easy to take basic precautions as have been mentioned, that it came as such a shock to be faced with this idiot scenario.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.