Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent trainers for road runs

Feet in the Cowclaps

Re: Decent trainers for road r

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Last years Nike Zoom Waffle.
    What!!??? Nike Zoom Waffle??? The people at Nike are having a real laugh. I thought Nike Vomero was bad enough!
    I'm sure if I went into a shop asking for a pair of Nike Air Bollocks, the sales assistant would answer, "What size would that be in sir?"

Road Shoes I use Nike Pegasus now they are a little more stiff than they used to be but you get used to it. The extra midsole control is good because too much flexiblity in the midsole of a show is what often contributes to injuries in runners.

XC spike wise I've tried many different ones but will be resorting to cheapo track distance spikes this winter as I've had better runs in them in the past and when they are clogged with mud and water seem alot lighter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Track Fairy View Post
    I also knock about in a pair of Puma Tenos or Phasis (can't remember which) and they're Ok too but i suspect I'm a shade heavy for them so I prefer slightly bulkier cumulus.
    While we're on the subject what about XC xpikes? Any recommendations? To pre-empt the inevitable RR reply I know all about the Ngong (and that it falls apart!)

Here we go then, the RR response which TF pre-empted!
    The Tenos and Phasis are very good shoes. I ran miles yesterday in a pair of Phasis yesterday. Both well built shoes, long lasting and good value.

Puma have a new XC spike out, colour might not be appealing to fashion victims, but I am sure you will find them longer lasting. The build quality has changed and I am sure you will not find a problem with the spikes.
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

Shoes I have tried and they are all stuffed in a cupboard at home,
    Sauconey .Omni,Hurricane
    Nike pegassus
    Brooks gts 6
    Asics 2000 range
    And still the best shoe for ME is the Reebok road plus range.
    I have had five pairs ,why i try other makes i do not know.
    At £34 a pair from do running they are worth a try

Super Moderator

Think shoe question is largely about fit. Adidias std are too narrow for me. Nike better but Asics best. Saucony are like boats although have Ascension TR (I think) trail shoes which are narrower than old Grizzly and road options. Haven't tried Puma but girlfriend swears by Brooks GT6.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I may be 'adventurous' and try a pair of pumas since I've never had any before.

Crowhill: My knee is getting better thanks. I will try and run on it today for the first time since last Sat. I took the dressing/stitches off on Saturday and like I thought, I lost most of the range of movement. After 2 hours of watching athletics on TV I'd still only got about 2 inches! The trouble was the scab had healed with it straight and needed stretching a bit. Three days of biking since and I have got the full range, but it is still quite stiff. I also seem to have lost a bit of propreaception (is that the right term?) in it, as it is still a bit awkward balancing on it.

RR, which shoe do you have?

Looking at the website, it looks like the Concinnity is the one I would have gone for had I looked before your recommendation as its neutral. The Tenos IV seems to be for 'mild and moderate overpronation.' Do you know if there is any real difference? The Concinnity is also 50g lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by A.G View Post
    Crowhill: After 2 hours of watching athletics on TV I'd still only got about 2 inches!
    You should have tried watching the women's pole vault then. []

Seriously, hope the knee's okay and you manage to run ok tonight. Try standing on a rolled up towel to improve the proprioception.
    Last edited by crowhill; 28-08-2007 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crowhill View Post
    You should have tried watching the women's pole vault then. []

Seriously, hope the knee's okay and you manage to run ok tonight. Try standing on a rolled up towel to improve the proprioception.
    Very good, very good!

I went on a run, but it took a while to stop hobbling too badly. It just feels very stiff (no more jokes!) when it falls back to the ground to begin another foot strike.

Quote Originally Posted by A.G View Post
    RR, which shoe do you have?

Looking at the website, it looks like the Concinnity is the one I would have gone for had I looked before your recommendation as its neutral. The Tenos IV seems to be for 'mild and moderate overpronation.' Do you know if there is any real difference? The Concinnity is also 50g lighter.
    Ran in most of the shoes on www.pumarunning.com but race in Puma Roadracer and do steady runs in these as well, or Puma Phasis and Tenos. Never had a problem with any of them.
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome