Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren Holloway memorial

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Darren Holloway memorial

Thinking of entering this and doubt I will get chance to reccie it in advance.

Any serious nav issues on this and is there water anywhere on route?

Looks tough?

I did a lot of the 'big ones' for the first time last year and can safely say it's the hardest race ive ever done.

Not to put you off though. I think the cutoffs are very generous, particularly in comparison to some of the other lakeland classics. The first half of the race is tough going, but the 2nd half is very tough.

Nav. - the section around grasmoor could be tricky in the mist, but you may have people to follow at that early stage. And there are different lines around/over Robinson, but I dont think its too nightmarish otherwise.

Think there's water at the bottom of grassmoor, just before the climb to newlands, and haystacks, but can't remember much else... Oh yes , the bottom of red pike.

Good luck - its an epic and id love to be doing it again, but 10 Peaks this year on the same weekend instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I did a lot of the 'big ones' for the first time last year and can safely say it's the hardest race ive ever done.

Not to put you off though. I think the cutoffs are very generous, particularly in comparison to some of the other lakeland classics. The first half of the race is tough going, but the 2nd half is very tough.

Nav. - the section around grasmoor could be tricky in the mist, but you may have people to follow at that early stage. And there are different lines around/over Robinson, but I dont think its too nightmarish otherwise.

Think there's water at the bottom of grassmoor, just before the climb to newlands, and haystacks, but can't remember much else... Oh yes , the bottom of red pike.

Good luck - its an epic and id love to be doing it again, but 10 Peaks this year on the same weekend instead.
    Thanks for this - suitably scared now

When you say hardest race you have done which other Lakeland AL have you done?

Cheers - 10 Peaks looks even more of an epic

Done Borrowdale, Langdale, Peris, Welsh 1000. I was still learning my pace at Buttermere (and still learning now) and I went off too hard in the first half, that is possibly why I rate it so hard compared to say Peris, where I ran well by my own meagre standards.

But I found it a step up even from Peris and Welsh 1000, and significantly harder than Borrowdale. I was timed out at Wasdale in the mist so can't compare those two.

There's nothing immediately scary about it, unlike Peris or Wasdale for example, its just the sheer size of it, but it is a fantastic route.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    There's nothing immediately scary about it, unlike Peris or Wasdale for example, its just the sheer size of it, but it is a fantastic route.
    Ya I stood in the campsite in the middle of the valley and done a 360 degree turn and realised to my horror that I had to run over everything I could see!

Still taking entries for these two races. Details at https://fellrace.org.uk/races/daz/

Counter in the Lakeland classics as a super long.

Hoping for better weather than the Ennerdale...............

Apparently it's rumoured to be an English Champs counter next year so this could be a good opportunity to get a recce in.

It's worth doing the race just for Amanda's cakes at the end, anyway.

I concur. It's the best post race spread I've been party to. Scores high on quality, quantity and variety.

there are couple of bumps in the second half you can go round, remember a fenceline on the left side of one of them. Cut left on the way to Mellbreak through the heather to cut out a fair bit of climb (from the bottom of the path to the bottom of the climb up mellbreak. Also a mate told me of a line going straight on past Mellbreak which avoids the path round the edge (you can see the path coming down through the heather it is towards them left of the top ridge).

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dantodman View Post
    there are couple of bumps in the second half you can go round, remember a fenceline on the left side of one of them. Cut left on the way to Mellbreak through the heather to cut out a fair bit of climb (from the bottom of the path to the bottom of the climb up mellbreak. Also a mate told me of a line going straight on past Mellbreak which avoids the path round the edge (you can see the path coming down through the heather it is towards them left of the top ridge).

Dan
    eh up Dan

I remember doing this race when we both took a different line around Robinson....yours being far better than mine if my memory serves me right...ya bugger.

Take care pal
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.