Thread: Fellsman recce

Fellsman recce

Hi all
    If anyone is planning on doing the Fellsman this year and fancies joining up for a recce, let me know. I'm not planning a full recce but just a few of the sections which may be hardest to navigate etc. I run somewhere between 4 and 6mph average on ultras, terrain dependant. Considering the linear nature of the route, would make sense having 2 cars, one for each end of the run.
    Cheers
    D

Quote Originally Posted by mdb View Post
    Hi all
    If anyone is planning on doing the Fellsman this year and fancies joining up for a recce, let me know. I'm not planning a full recce but just a few of the sections which may be hardest to navigate etc. I run somewhere between 4 and 6mph average on ultras, terrain dependant. Considering the linear nature of the route, would make sense having 2 cars, one for each end of the run.
    Cheers
    D
    One good way of doing a section with one car is to park in Grassington, take the Dales Bus to Buckden and run back from there. This is the section the vast majority of people will do in the dark and it's therefore well worth recceing in the daylight. It's also a brilliant route. It's just over 19 miles.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    One good way of doing a section with one car is to park in Grassington, take the Dales Bus to Buckden and run back from there. This is the section the vast majority of people will do in the dark and it's therefore well worth recceing in the daylight. It's also a brilliant route. It's just over 19 miles.

Thanks. With the lack of replies, I've been looking around for ways to do linear sections with just 1 car. I saw that bus and it looks like the right idea - and you are right about doing it in darkness - I expect I will be one of that number. I quite hoped to also do the section from Redshaw to Buckden but might have to run it in both directions...

Quote Originally Posted by mdb View Post
    I quite hoped to also do the section from Redshaw to Buckden but might have to run it in both directions...
    Here's a possible way to do Stonehouse to Fleet Moss by parking at Oughtershaw and heading out on the Dales Way.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/285045954

It's worth concentrating separately on the Fleet Moss to Cray section (not that you're supposed to reccie it before race day)
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

I think there's another thread re: Recces somewhere else (though it might be on FB?) if you have a quick search. I was definately going round this year but have not been running since end of January. Might be I enter and set off with intention of getting as far as I can whilst enjoying it as I did last year. Basically a training jolly out until I feel like 'jacking'. Problem is I don't like dnf's. Last year I did it with Mrs tfg to give her a look-see and ran out of other people to continue with the Cp after Dent as were hanging off the backl!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com