Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High fells conditions

High fells conditions

Afternoon everyone. I've got some podcasts I really want to listen to so might take a trip down to the lakes this weekend. Does anyone know what conditions are like on the higher tops? I've been told to expect bog galore low down, is it crampons or spikes or just light fell shoes higher up? I'd thought to use poles so likely won't carry an axe.

Thanks kindly.

Banned
    Here is what most rely on for the weather.
    http://www.mwis.org.uk/pdf/weather-f...55_4480000.pdf

Hope you enjoy.

I was out running dunmail to high raise via seat sandal today and the turf was pretty well frozen with lots of ice on the paths. Good running conditions over normally boggy terrain but very slow around ice. Managed slowly in fell running shoes but if I was heading to scafell area (or higher in general) I would be taking spikes / crampons. Have a good weekend!

Master
    Take a look here http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/home Restarted today for the new season enjoy your break
    The older I get the Faster I was

A cup of tea and a date slice in Keswick then me, my 3 malt loaves and the world's worst micospikes are off for a dander up some hills. Thanks for your help folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    A cup of tea and a date slice in Keswick then me, my 3 malt loaves and the world's worst micospikes are off for a dander up some hills. Thanks for your help folks.
    Did you need your microspikes Ally? I'd have been surprised if you did, conditions up on the tops today were pretty outstanding.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

I was up Skiddaw very early doors yesterday and apart from the high winds, conditions underfoot were pretty damn good
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Spikes stayed in the bag the while time, definitely not needed.

Well done, Ally! Hope you knocked off a few podcasts on your 24 hour trip. You missed all the snow in Northumberland though.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    Well done, Ally!
    I'd hold off on that for a minute, I might have a story to tell...