Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting experience

WJB, I did follow it up...but still did not meet the requirements.

Oh well... 2018 see you there! [he says ironing his short Alan Partridge style shorts in readiness]

That's a shame it sounds like you are more than experienced enough for the Three Peaks but it wasn't meant to be this time.

There are plenty of AL and AM events through the summer in the Lakes that don't ask for details of experience so as long as you are confident you can get round you could use these as qualifiers for next year's 3ps. Tour of Pendle in November is also a good one to use as a qualifying event.

Good luck!
    Last edited by wjb; 03-05-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Great advice...I'll have a look at the old handbook.

Dont take it personally. Three peaks is oversubscribed so any slight issue will put you out of the running. At less subscribed races, you should be OK.
    But its a great point. We should all confess how we 'broke our duck' with our first 'illegal' AL.
    Here's mine. It would have been the 1988 Welsh 1000 metres. Just entered and winged it. Looking back I was woefully equipped with a pair of puma road shoes that I had resoled with cross country studs and a two piece rainsuit from Marks and Sparks. Worse than that, my warm leggings were a pair of cotton tracksters that, when wet, literally slipped down my legs in a heavy soggy mass. Worse than useless! But I could navigate OK. And I was young, fit and confident in an Alf Tupperish way. We had no money so it was make do and mend!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

My first "Illegal" AL was Black Mountains in Wales, although they didn't ask for experience. I'm eternally thankful that it was clear weather, as it is a course which could be very serious in poor weather.

I had read and digested the dire warnings to research the route through the forest, and got there early and reccied the final couple of miles back to Llanbedr. Unfortunately I went astray on the very first long ridge, when I looked down into the valley, most of the race was taking place about 200 metres below to my right, resulting in a sharp descent to be back on track.

But what really hit me on my first AL was that there are very few easy climbs. Even the first climb, which looks on the map to be a bit of a stroll, was quite punishing, and the succession of hard climbs which followed were brutal.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Like Travs, my first AL was in Wheeze-land (SE Wales): Llanbedr-Blaenavon. Unlike Travs, the weather conditions were among the worst I have encountered in a fell race. I dressed no differently from if I had been going for a ramble in the same conditions, but managed to get round despite the weight of clothing.

I don't think there was anything "illegal" about it. Even if they had asked about previous experience, I could have mentioned several long-distance orienteering events that I had done, as well as two completions of the Kentmere Horseshoe (which is towards the long end of AM).

Two weeks after that first AL, I did Edale Skyline, and suffered far more despite the better weather.

Some great reads I have hiked the Three Peaks twice before so I know the route pretty well. One of those days was when the 3 Peaks race was on! Which is why I'm so passionate about doing it. Forget the London Marathon, give me views and a hard slog.

Quote Originally Posted by rileforce View Post
    Some great reads I have hiked the Three Peaks twice before so I know the route pretty well. One of those days was when the 3 Peaks race was on! Which is why I'm so passionate about doing it. Forget the London Marathon, give me views and a hard slog.
    Whatever anyone says about the route changes the Three Peaks is still a special race. I only started running because I hiked the Three Peaks and then someone told me about the fell race and I wanted to do it. Started racing in September 2011, did a BL and an AL to qualify and in April 2012 I ran in the Three Peaks race! Done it 4 times now and hope to be back next year racing against rileforce!

wjb > Brilliant! :-)

I think my first 'proper' fell race may have been Langdale HS!? Experience being North York Moors Mid Week Series and Gisborough Moors Race. I was overdressed on the day...Ron Hills and a Buffalo Shirt, though the weather wasn't great. I was amazed guys were setting off in vest and shorts!? I over-heated a little bit. That must have been '89/'90 or something!? Then I did 'Cafod' Grisedale and the Helvellyn off basically the same sort of running experience.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com