Thread: Help!!

Help!!

Hi All,

I'm new to all of this fell running so i need some advice.

1st, what is the best way to tackle going up hills?

2nd, what is the best way to come down with out falling over or getting shin splits (something which i seem to get easily)?

3rd, if the ground is fairly hard and rocky am i better wearing fell shoes or normal trainers?

4th, any other advice would be welcome!

thanks

Paul

Re: Help!!

1. Slowly. I try to guess what speed I'll be crawling at, at the top of the hill, and start off at that pace. Put your effort in as the hill eases off.

2. Lean forward a bit so your weights over your feet, and relax. Nature will do the rest.

3. Fell shoes. The thin midsole means your less likely to twist your ankle. Running on the hills is a lot more forgiving than the roads, or even parks, so you don't tend to need the cushioning, and I can't think of any fell runners with shin splints.

4. Enjoy yourself, and stand your round in the pub

I'll second the slowly advice. I often slow down dramatically and find there are people working twice as hard as me, trying to power up the hill but actually going no faster.

If you're walking up hill, try leaning forward and pushing your legs with your arms - I'm told this simulates the action of a walking pole, and it certainly helps me along.

For downhill, Joss Naylor always says to bend your knees more than you would normally. Also, don't be afraid to "windmill" - ie stick your arms out for balance. Leave "good running form" to the namby pambies on the road

Get some practice with your new fell shoes before you race - they will feel odd at first (forget trainers - you'll spend half the race on your backside!)

thanks guys,

hope to see you on some races soon.

When I'm running on my own I always try to run (not walk ever if I can help it) up each and every hill no matter how steep, even if my 'running' is barely noticeably making headway. This as much as anything is fantastic hill running training and really helps with learning how the f**k to breath when completely and utterly breathless

In races, particularly long ones, and particularly long ones with steep ascents, and particularly when the ascents themselves are long, and particularly when the long steep ascents are up impossible terrain you will have to walk at some point. In this case, then use the stopped walking, pushing off the knees, that all the other runners will probably be using.

Definitely use fell shoes and definitely come off the hills and fells covered in mud (and if you're hardcore, blood); if your not wet and muddy, you haven't really been fell running

There were bits of the Holme Moss where you were scrambling using your hands on rock, heather and bilberry. I'd had the same dictum about always "running" but that race forced me to think again. You just got to do what you gotta do when push comes to shove. A friend of mine who watched the elite runners on the Borrowdale said they went uphill in a sort of speed skater's attitude, one hand behind their backs and the other swinging whilst crouching forwards. What's that all about then? I'm going to try it next time I'm out. I suppose you'd need way powerful core strength.
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

My thoughts - from a fairly new fell runner are -
    1) Go slowly up hill. Go uphill a lot, it gets easier. Sometimes walking is quicker.

2) I have shin splints this week - for the first time - probably caused by too much mileage (mostly on the road) the week before fell/trail race, also possibly caused by tight calves muscles & leaning forward lots (whilst going up the fells), and possibly weak hip flexors.
    See a physio before you get injured again - and stretch your soleus (lower calf muscle). Core stability & strengthening will help - I neglected mine just before I got injured.

3) If it's a hard packed trail and smooth then trail or road shoes are fine. If it's uneven rocks or you need the grip then fell shoes are best.

4) Can you navigate? Lots of fell races involve navigation - especially longer ones.

I'm pretty new, but one thing I've noticed recetly is the benefit of uphilling on forefoot or even tiptoes rather than full foot...

Small steps going uphil = low gear. Don't overstride. This is a common problem for lots of runners even on the flat.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...