Thread: 10K app

10K app

Hello all

I read an old post regarding the suitability of the couch to 5K and I'd like to share my limited but positive experience of the 10K app which is similar.

I've only been running a month but last Friday I ran 8K I'm still not sure how I managed it so early but I did. I push myself hard and am now running 4 days a week and using an elliptical on most other days (the odd day I do both). If you'd told me a couple of months I'd be doing this, I'd have laughed in your face; the last 20 years I've only walked short distances at weekends.

The 10K app isn't cheap at £6.99 and I was unsure if it would be good for me as I didn't want to run on roads or a track. The forest trails where I live are short and are mixed gradients, they don't fit in with the "run x minutes, walk x minutes" but they are surprisingly good at making you run up things you never thought possible; my logic when I started was if I'm only running for 2 minutes, let's see how far I can get in the time. If you follow the sessions rigidly it's easy to build up slow plodding time. Much to my surprise, I got frustrated with the length of running splits after a couple of weeks, so I doubled the sessions. For one day a week I ditch the app and run as far as I can for as long as I can, totally knackering but very satisfying.

To start with I endured the app, now I enjoy it so I'd say it's worth a go even if you're not on the flat.

Hello folks

I shall be heading up to Glasgow this week and on the way back down will venture into the Lake District for a shortish run. Can anybody suggest a 5K ish route that isn't too hellish please?

Many thanks

Hi Forest, not sure entirely what sort of run you are looking for in the lakes, but perhaps you could go up and down Latrigg from Keswick. If you take the main path up and down you won't be on any cliff-hanging gradients, but there would be a decent amount of climbing, and no real danger of getting lost. Plus superb views for a relatively small amount of climb.

Or heading the opposite way out of Keswick, you could head up and back to Walla Crag. Slightly more typical "fell" terrain, but actually probably a slightly gentler route overall.
    Last edited by Travs; 15-05-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Yes, quite a few options near Keswick. Cat Bells would be good, and you can continue on to Maiden Moor if you are feeling strong. Causey Pike may be a bit too brutal for you, but Barrow (just to the north of it) would be easier.

Hi Travis

Thanks very much, Latrigg it is! I haven't been up there for over 20 years, will be lovely to return. Never would have believed I could ever run it. I wanted to hit Booths on my way home so it's very convenient all round.

Rachel

Don't worry if you can't manage to run the whole way, it's a tough one. You'll find in most fell races that lots of ascents are taken at a fast walk, which is often speedier than a slow run!

If I can give any advice, is when you hit the uphill, pick a pace that you think you can sustain, then slow down a gear. That is probably the correct pace.

Enjoy the run back down!