Thread: Kettlewell 8/6, kit + qs

Kettlewell 8/6, kit + qs

I was thinking about entering the race at kettlewell tomorrow as a first race.
    Couple of questions - is this an ok first race? Short but with what seems like a decent amount as ascent.

I'be got full FRA kit ready, but it's all massive/dead heavy (mountaineering hardshell etc, will probably have to wear a backpack as no bumbag). But when I see race photos, no one is ever wearing a pack/bumbag. Are the requirements often waived for shorter races like this? I know it's forecast for rain but with reasonable temps.

Cheers.

I don't know this race personally.

But in general, some race organisers for races where it's not an absolute requirement make a decision on the day not to require full kit. And you're right, these are usually short races in the summer (like this one).

So I suggest turning up with it but there's a reasonable chance you won't have to carry it.

Enjoy.

Yes, Kettlewell would be a suitable first race. It's a steep start with a tiny bit of hand on rock as you go over the escarpment, but nothing scary, and then a long runnable climb and a non-technical descent, then another longish climb with a descent on a rocky track (from memory). There should be a decent sized field so you shouldn't find yourself on your own, and I think it's either marked, or at least on mostly obvious tracks with marshalls at the key points.

Take all kit with you, I wouldn't expect to have to carry it all but the waterproofs especially may be required. Organiser will decide based on weather.

Enjoy!

The route looks pretty straightforward nav wise, and hand on rock is probably preferable!

Thanks for the replies - really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
    The route looks pretty straightforward nav wise, and hand on rock is probably preferable!

Thanks for the replies - really helpful.
    Well if a crocked - now V70 - can get round it 7 times it can't be that hard .
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator
    It's an ideal first race Sanders. Have fun! Oh and welcome to the forum. Let us know how you get on
    Poacher turned game-keeper

It was absolutely brilliant! Dodged the rain, amazing views, didn't fall over or come last. A roaring success. Not to mention the jelly babies!

Definitely hungry for more (fell races, not jelly babies).

Super Moderator
    Great stuff Sanders. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for letting us know
    Poacher turned game-keeper