Thread: First race please.? Noob

First race please.? Noob

Hi Everyone

I am new to fell running as in never done one.!!!...have recently done the TG event and am now interested in doing some fell runs.!!

Can anyone please advise me on an entry level event comming up in the next few months.!! or advise where to look

Any advice greatly appreciatted..

cheers

Phil

Re: First race please.? Noob

http://www.ukresults.net/

Mainly road but some trail & fell races too.

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/2007races.htm

Fell race calander now online at above.

Where in the UK are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    http://www.ukresults.net/

Mainly road but some trail & fell races too.

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/2007races.htm

Fell race calander now online at above.

Where in the UK are you?

Thanks for the details....

I am based in Wellingborough !!....

Really new to map reading etc so looking for guidance on a entry level race.!

cheers

Phil

All my races are in Lancashire/Yorkshire/Cumbria so I cannot comment on races in the Peak District which would be your nearest hilly area I guess.
    Map reading is not a pre-requisit for all fell races, check the race info on the calender and it advises you on what that particular race entails (local knowledge, navigational skills, etc). I actually got the piss taken out of me at the last fell race I did for having my bum bag on and noted very few runners had one - albeit a fairly easy 'fell' race on a summers evening. Check out if there are any clubs in your area that run off road as well as on. Pick a race, turn up and have a go.

What's the requirement then? Does every runner in a "Fell Race" need waterproofs, map, compass etc?

Quote Originally Posted by M.C View Post
    What's the requirement then? Does every runner in a "Fell Race" need waterproofs, map, compass etc?
    http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/pdf/com...quirements.pdf

Section 9

and sometimes safety pins too...

Many races are pretty informal, if you find one that looks promising you can always contact the organiser. I always take full kit - if they waive some of the requirements I can leave it behind - depending on whether I think I'll need it- if they insist on specific kit it's a wasted journey if you don't have it.

If getting up to the Peak District is no problem, I'd suggest the Stanage Struggle on Sept 23rd (starts from Hathersage school at 11am). It's a good entry level race, not too long (just over 6 miles), well marshalled so no navigation skills required, and, in spite of the name, isn't really that much of a struggle. I think it's the 10th anniversary race this year, so there's probably going to be some gaiety going on as well.

Quote Originally Posted by this is my real name View Post
    If getting up to the Peak District is no problem, I'd suggest the Stanage Struggle on Sept 23rd (starts from Hathersage school at 11am). It's a good entry level race, not too long (just over 6 miles), well marshalled so no navigation skills required, and, in spite of the name, isn't really that much of a struggle. I think it's the 10th anniversary race this year, so there's probably going to be some gaiety going on as well.
    I am a bit tempted by this one

Quote Originally Posted by this is my real name View Post
    I'd thoroughly recommend the Struggle, last year's was my first race. Great fun!