Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you voted?

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Presumably in such a referendum the students would have to have their votes weighted down?

Hopefully young people will soon revert to type anyway and not be arsed voting in future.

I think luxinterior makes some very good points though. As somebody who is 46 (shortly to be 47), I can see that it does seem reasonable that people in their late 40's are probably the wisest and should have their votes weighted upwards.
    Or perhaps you should be down-weighted as you're only voting for things that will affect the next thirty five years (ish). Whereas someone in their twenties has 60 years of being affected by those policies.

I think you should just accept people are going to disagree with you.

Unless they read the Daily Mail/Express when they should be fired into space aboard the Golgafrincham ark ship B. But aside from that, 1 person 1 vote.
    pies

It wasn't just the students that bought in to the free tuition, it was the parents of kids about to become students.
    I had two parents at the club that indicated as such. One an existing Labour voter, the other not. Both effectively felt that the "saving" of £40K was a big draw.

What neither could get their heads around was that somewhere it would have to be paid.

What no one else seems to get either is that as long as we are in the EU, all other EU students would then be allowed to study here for free.
    I doubt that Labour costed that in.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    What no one else seems to get either is that as long as we are in the EU, all other EU students would then be allowed to study here for free.
    I doubt that Labour costed that in.
    Thanks very much UK for paying my fees to study in your country. I would like to think that over the past 20 (and hopefully another 15 years) years that my contribution to the UK economy in the I.T sector in which it is difficult to recruit the required skill sets has more that made up for the cost of my degrees.

You are also conveniently forgetting all those skilled EU workers in the UK for which the UK DID NOT HAVE TO PAY TO EDUCATE.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 13-06-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Thanks very much UK for paying my fees to study in your country. I would like to think that over the past 20 (and hopefully another 15 years) years that my contribution to the UK economy in the I.T sector in which it is difficult to recruit the required skill sets has more that made up for the cost of my degrees.

You are also conveniently forgetting all those skilled EU workers in the UK for which the UK DID NOT HAVE TO PAY TO EDUCATE.
    I'm not actually Patrick. I actually think it's unethical to be taking loads of skilled people from all over the world, particularly health care workers.
    We have a responsibility to train and recruit better at home.

I was against Tuition fees when they were introduced and in principal I think they are divisive. I think they should have been carried out of general taxation.
    The problem is, we have expanded the system to have Degrees in all sorts of BS subjects, around 50% of 18 year olds going on to study and many of them not even up to A levels managing to get on courses.

So I would move towards a system where Universities cannot offer a degree course for less than CCC or equivalent and then at least we might be able to reasonably afford the higher education bill for our 18 year olds out of general taxation as we did back in the late 80s when it was around 1 in 5 that went to Uni.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Done👍

Likewise, and Hazel Grove is TORY/LibDem marginal, so I may actually have a chance of making a difference.

My area has around an 8000 majority and the current party are 1/66 to retain their seat, so pretty pointless for me to vote. Although I'd vote for the current party anyway if I was going to vote...!

Master
    Postal vote 10 days ago
    The older I get the Faster I was

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I always vote. Never missed an election since I was 18. A queue at 7.00am this morning so will be going back this evening to vote in what should be a reasonably safe labour seat.