Thread: Another hazard

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Another hazard

This is a hazard we don't face in UK fell races: a 16-year-old competitor in the junior Bird Ridge race in Alaska was killed by a bear, while returning to the start after finishing the race. http://www.ktva.com/apd-bear-mauling-bird-creek-362/

Bird Ridge is a 3-mile uphill-only race with 3400 feet of climbing; the junior race goes half-way, although juniors are actually allowed to run the full course. There appears to be no lower age limit: the 2016 results show a 4-year-old completing the junior course, and an 11-year-old on the full course.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    This is a hazard we don't face in UK fell races: a 16-year-old competitor in the junior Bird Ridge race in Alaska was killed by a bear, while returning to the start after finishing the race. http://www.ktva.com/apd-bear-mauling-bird-creek-362/

Bird Ridge is a 3-mile uphill-only race with 3400 feet of climbing; the junior race goes half-way, although juniors are actually allowed to run the full course. There appears to be no lower age limit: the 2016 results show a 4-year-old completing the junior course, and an 11-year-old on the full course.
    Maybe a bit off topic and not really "fell running kosher" but a friend of mine who used to visit Alaska quite frequently, once told me that a big new safety factor for youngsters travelling between neighbouring communities was that they were allowed to ride quads on quad tracks that ran alongside the public roads; hence they could outrun the bears.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Master
    We went to Canada 5 years in a row to ski as at the time it was cheaper than skiing in Europe. Bears of course hibernate in winter but there was still lots off "what to do if you meet a bear" advice about. What I found interesting was that this seemed to change every year - climb a tree, don't climb a tree; stare it down, don't look at it; make yourself big, shrink into a ball, and so on. Currently the advice is don't run but back away slowly, don't climb a tree, go big/loud if it keeps coming at you and fight for your life if you have to by punching its face/eyes. Better still make so much noise whilst travelling in bear country that it runs away so that you never see it, and carry a bear spray and know how to use it.

The numbers killed by bears are tiny, but like those killed by sharks, they always make the headlines. Having said that, even small risks are often easily reduced further without great expense or inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    We went to Canada 5 years in a row to ski as at the time it was cheaper than skiing in Europe. Bears of course hibernate in winter but there was still lots off "what to do if you meet a bear" advice about. What I found interesting was that this seemed to change every year - climb a tree, don't climb a tree; stare it down, don't look at it; make yourself big, shrink into a ball, and so on. Currently the advice is don't run but back away slowly, don't climb a tree, go big/loud if it keeps coming at you and fight for your life if you have to by punching its face/eyes. Better still make so much noise whilst travelling in bear country that it runs away so that you never see it, and carry a bear spray and know how to use it.

The numbers killed by bears are tiny, but like those killed by sharks, they always make the headlines. Having said that, even small risks are often easily reduced further without great expense or inconvenience.
    Best not to point a musket....!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhDinIBETiI
    Am Yisrael Chai