Thread: "Stud Marks" reprint?

"Stud Marks" reprint?

Hi
    Saw Graham's remark about there having been a reprint of Stud Marks announced. Can anybody give me any more details about this please? Like many others, I'd be very keen to get hold of a copy without paying the enormobucks that the original book goes for on eBay.
    Thanks
    Cam

Master
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

And then, lo and behold, a "rather cosmetically challenged copy" appears on ebay
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

A copy has just sold on ebay for £155. I would say that is a reasonably priced buy and not "enormobucks"; but then I occasionally look at Railwayana auction sites and, somewhat bewildered, see the money that trainspotters willingly pay for junk.

Hi Jack,

Alongside Robert White of Calder Valley FR, I am involved with this project. We are trying to progress it as time permits in our respective lives and will feed back any updates as and when applicable.

We'll also be meeting up later in the year to assess the next stages for the project; given the broad church of experience in the fell running community, it's likely that we'll put a call out for assistance in progressing some areas. Republishing books isn't quite as straight forward as we might first have anticipated. Still, we're keen to do whatever we can to ensure the legacy of this seminal text.

Makes my original copy, up on the shelf, which I bought directly from Peter Knott in December 1985, look a real bargain / investment.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I love the idea of spending £650 for a book and trusting 2nd close postage to get it safely delivered!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Makes my original copy, up on the shelf, which I bought directly from Peter Knott in December 1985, look a real bargain / investment.
    With that in mind I have offered £10 - and been rejected!

What often happens on ebay is that other sellers quickly put their copies on at a lower price - which with £650 as the fantasy price does give a bit of room!

I can't recall any copy of SMOTS going for a price as comical as £650 before but there it is. Still, it looks beautiful, and dipping back into it myself I see a fantastic read that I'm looking forward to reading through again.

In 2015, fellow FRA member Monolith (Tom) and I went on the lookout to see if there'd be any call for a reprint of Stud Marks on the Summits. Looking to put any profits into Mountain Rescue, we took the impression that the ethics of a second edition would be OK, as Bill Smith himself had apparently pondered it upon being asked towards the end of his life.

We set about putting that together. I've got the whole thing typed up and more-or-less ready. Tom was put onto the image reproduction and legalese side of the project and by this time in 2016 things were coming into place. As things happened, Tom entered a very busy period of his life amidst working two good jobs while starting up his family, while I was left a bit isolated with two long-term injuries keeping me out of fell running circles, while lack of funds and other focuses took me elsewhere.

I got back in touch with him the other week though. I now live a few miles outside the Lakes and the knees that had been my ruination for over 15 months made a miraculous recovery over lockdown, so my heart, mind and body are now weekly visitors to the finest of the fells. As Tom's got a more packed schedule it's a project I'll endeavour to conduct myself.

Plan is now to consider some sort of foreword ahead of the second edition. Then I'll give my re-typed copy yet another proof-read with fresh eyes, go about licencing, permissions, graphics blah blah blah until we have a product ready for a print run that we can potentially crowdfund. Ultimately the second edition should be befitting of Bill's good name and I would like other's approval on how that's carried out.

Hopefully I won't let anyone else down and will get SMOTS out fairly soon. Affordable fell running for all!
    Last edited by RobCVFR; 25-09-2020 at 03:52 PM.