Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Midland Road Relays

A good day at the relays today, in very hot and sunny weather. If it wasn't for having to run, it would have been a lovely day out...!

Bristol & West set the early pace, but Birchfield Harriers stormed through in the second half of the race with some lightning leg times. When they put a full strength team out, there's not many in the country who can touch them.

Bristol & West finished 2nd, Notts AC 3rd. Tipton 4th. Cheltenham 5th. Our Godiva seniors 6th.

My masters team had a solid race, moving up from 17th on the first leg, to be in 10th when I took over on the anchor leg. Despite having a pretty mediocre run (23mins for 5.88km), I manged to put a shift in up the final hill and pinch 9th place from GazB's Wolves & Bilston vets, whilst holding off a determined challenge from Bournville Harriers who were chasing me down (had 45secs on him at the start of the leg, and manged to hold him off by 20secs, despite him looking like he was going to catch me at the turn.

As for my own performance... about 15secs slower than last year... still it was equivalent of 19:30 parkrun pace, in the heat, and on a hilly course. At my current pace i'd like to think I should be 45secs faster. However the 8 hours out on the LDMT last weekend made themselves known a little today. True to form, couldn't get going in the first 3 or 4 km, then found my rhythm but it was a little too late.

Hello to GazB and another good time, pasted me again!

Today saw the National 6-stage at Sutton Park and as usual a fine day's racing and a spectacular finish...

Aldershot &Farnham set the pace after the early legs, being chased down by Cardiff. Leeds City appeared out of it, but pushed though, and went from 3rd to 1st on the final leg. Cardiff, leading at the start of the final leg, dropped to 4th...

Top 10
    1 Leeds City
    2 Aldershot & Farnham
    3 Cambridge & Coleridge
    4 Cardiff
    5 I think was Shaftesbury Barnet
    6 Birchfield Harriers
    7 Bristol & West
    8 ??? edit.... Morpeth Harriers
    9 I think Sale Harriers (green with red & white)
    10 Southampton

My Coventry Godiva boys were much improved this year after finishing just about top 50 last year, we hoped for around 40th as progress. After 3 legs we were in 23rd, and although we were reeled in to finish 29th, it was a job well done. 5th Midlands club, sadly overtaken by Corniceman’s Notts AC in the last couple of legs who snatched 4th!
    Last edited by Travs; 06-10-2019 at 05:58 PM.