Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Midland Road Relays

Our first team staged a massive fight back and incredibly managed to finish 7th, which is pretty stunning considering we were down in the 30's after the long legs. Alas it is all in vain as we were dq'd. It remains to be seen whether they'll consider the circumstances and give us a place in the Nationals...

Pretty frustrating that if they'd chucked myself, or another slower, but reliable and injury-free runner on the opening leg, we'd still have finished about 8th.

Well done GazB, good running as always, saw your name on the results.

Cheers mate. Conditions were the worst I've known in 20 years at Sutton Park. My Wolves team were officially 7th, even missing several of our quicker runners, so a pleasing result today. Although I get slower every race! I saw the Godiva boys DQ'd due to the 1st leg runner. A shame. I'm sure there will be a place spare at the nationals. We possibly won't enter for starters. Well done for the long leg. I know how hard they are!

Cheers Gaz. Yes it's a long lonely run out and back down that straight...!
    Last edited by Travs; 18-03-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Well we have been awarded a discretionary place for the Nationals in April.

Obviously good for the club, but from a strictly neutral point of view i'd probably have mixed feelings about this. If a Premiership football club cocked something up and were penalised, and missed out on a European place, we'd be saying that's their hard cheese.

But it's the job of the committee to ask the question, and to our credit we did report our injury issue straight away, and I guess the places up for grabs are a bit flexible anyway... it's not strictly the top 25 teams. But the top 25 'a' teams, along with any 'b' teams which finish in the overall top 25...

In any case, although i've been named in the 'squad' for the nationals, I won't get a run out anyway. But just been informed the Masters Road Relays are at the same venue at the end of April and i'll be likely to have a place in that one.

That's good news for your club. Though like I said, we probably won't be there. However we'll definitely be at the BMAF relays again with decent teams across the categories. I'll be in the M45-54 team with top 6 the aim.

Northern Road Relays in Birkenhead on Sunday. I'll be heading over post-Stag doo (not mine).
    Our rather tasty looking team still looks quite appetising despite the cherry on top of our cake pulling out.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

National road relays today, back at Sutton Park. Fantastic weather, probably a bit hot for those running. Fortunately I was just spectating today...

Ladies race... 1st Leeds City, 2nd Cambridge & Coleridge... 3rd Rotherham, 4th Highgate, 5th Birchfield.

Men's... 1st Tonbridge, 2nd Highgate, 3rd Swansea, 4th Blue-Yellow (Leeds City?)... unfortunately there was a mass start for the final leg which included everyone except those first 4, so I'm not 100% on other positions... but in the next few were Liverpool, Lincoln, I think Newham, and Serpentine were also in or around top 10.

My team Cov Godiva around 30th. Even in the nationals there's such a range of abilities, some teams lapped more than once. Maybe this was down to some regions not having a qualifier due to the poor weather, I don't know...

Saw some well known Fell team vests there.... Barlick, Blackburn Harriers, Cambuslang...
    Last edited by Travs; 15-04-2018 at 04:36 PM.

National Masters Road Relays back at Sutton Park tomorrow afternoon. I'm running the opening leg for our V35-44 team.

Really I could do with getting out and putting some long miles in, but club duty calls. All legs are "short" at 3ish miles. As much as that out-and-back is horrible on the long leg, I'd be much more comfortable doing a longer 6 mile leg. But we'll give it a go and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    National Masters Road Relays back at Sutton Park tomorrow afternoon. I'm running the opening leg for our V35-44 team.

Really I could do with getting out and putting some long miles in, but club duty calls. All legs are "short" at 3ish miles. As much as that out-and-back is horrible on the long leg, I'd be much more comfortable doing a longer 6 mile leg. But we'll give it a go and see what happens.
    As you are on the 1st leg then it's easy to to put right. When you finish your leg just carry on running at an easier pace (off the course) until the last competitor in the Relay comes in :-) Good luck and have fun :-)

Ran the opening leg today, 3.1 miles I believe. After the usual fast start through the twists and turns downhill, tried to settle into a rhythm. I felt very stiff and sore from last weekend, so much so that I actually noticed that first long uphill section, I never usually notice that.

In fact I felt pretty awful through the whole opening section, and when I finally felt vaguely comfortable I looked at my watch and I'd already done 8 and a half minutes. And even after that, it wasn't until I hit the sharp turn (for those that know the Sutton course, where the long and short legs split), that I really found my legs and started to motor.

I did feel sorry for a guy from Centurion runners who was stalking me for well over a mile, and finally got right on my shoulder at the bottom of the final hill down by the pond, where I then powered off, and the 20 metre gap he'd taken 10 minutes to close, opened right back up within about 100 metres! But it was him that pushed me along.

Finally crossed the line in 19:13.... I had no idea really how long the course actually was, and was expecting 20 mins based on seeing previous results on the short leg. So I was happy with the time but felt that I could run at least 30 seconds faster if totally fresh, perhaps even up to a minute on a good day. But then again I was 2nd fastest out of both our teams (albeit a couple haven't quite reached peak fitness for their seasons, but you can only go out and do it on the day in question) so perhaps it wasn't too bad.

I think Salford took the win, and think Thames Valley may have been 3rd. Salford b team possibly top 10. I think we at Godiva finished 21st. The over 45's race looked interesting, 5 or 6 teams within about 20 seconds at the halfway stage although I don't know how it ended.

Hello GazB I saw you coming up the hill near the end of your leg. Saw a couple of notable Fell Running vests as well.... Bingley, Holmfirth Harriers, Cambuslang, Rotherham?
    Last edited by Travs; 28-04-2018 at 06:17 PM.