Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Midland Road Relays

Hi Travs. It's 5.1k, so just under 3.2m. Unless you like time trialling, doing the 1st leg was probably best for you as you're in a race. I did 3rd leg, counting down for the younger Wolves vets team, and did 18.08. We were 9th. Having done this event many times, the depth and quality of the fields was as strong as ever. Well done mate. All good training for the runnable bits on the fells.

Cheers Gaz, good time from yourself, you were certainly moving well up the hill despite having nobody to really chase down or push you from behind. Personally I'm quite happy "time trialling" as I'm fairly motivated trying to chase people down. Although I specifically asked for opening leg today, mainly for the chance to run directly against a clubmate! So I was a bit disappointed that the 45-54 went off 5 minutes after us. Although it seemed like I'd been going no time at all when I heard their gun go off...!

Yes I find the road relays and the xc very useful for running faster than I'm comfortable with. Not to mention it's nice to run as part of a team, which doesn't happen on the fells (although I'm trying to put together a crack Coventry Godiva squad for the Lee Mill Relays!)

Last edited by Travs; 29-04-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Midlands 6-stage road relays at Sutton Park on Saturday.... 6 legs, all 5.88km... I'm running in the vets team, 5th leg. I believe we've got two vets teams and at least one 'fast' team in the seniors.

Ran 22:45 last year so hoping to see some improvement on that.

Good luck to anyone else racing, or doing the northern/southern equivalents.

I'll be there Travs, as ever. 3rd leg for the Wolves vets A team. Hope this wind lets up! Have a good un.

A damp and cool day today, so pretty ideal conditions I guess.

My friend and clubmate who officiated today told me there were around 170 men's teams which is close to, if not a record turnout. It was certainly pretty chaotic in the pen waiting for your leg to start.

From my own point of view, after running relatively well last week and knocking a hefty chunk off my 5km time, I was hoping to go under 22mins today (an undulating 5.88km). But (excuse no. 1) I've been struggling with a strained hamstring since Tuesday, and therefore (excuse no. 2) only done about 13 miles this week.

However all seemed to be ok once on the course. Picked off three guys in front within the first mile, then set about chasing others down the flatter section and the big out-and-back. Managed to bridge quite a gap and catch another guy at the bottom of the final hill section, and took him on the hill, but he came back with a monumental sprint finish which I couldn't match, and beat me to the line by 5-10 yards. Although I guess I clawed back 60-90 seconds on him overall, so I'll give him credit for his finish.

Was fairly astonished then to check my watch and see I only managed 22:44.... exactly the same time as last year! Still mystified. Felt good, made up 3, nearly 4 places. Admittedly my hamstring was killing walking back to the car, so perhaps it was giving me some unfelt trouble during the race. Perhaps I just had a "bad day". Maybe I just ran a little less hard than last year for some reason... I certainly could have gone round again, so I guess I just didn't do myself justice today.

As for the team... our fast team came 9th I think. Birchfield won by some margin, in fact I think they had three teams in the top dozen or so. I think Tipton 2nd, possibly Cheltenham 3rd. Other usual suspects up there were City Of Stoke, Charnwood.

Not seen the full results, my masters team was slightly depleted from what was looking a strong team, after a few dropouts further up the pecking order, meaning a couple of our quickest v35's had to jump up to our senior side. A good marker for our masters is that we beat the 'quick' teams from all the other Coventry clubs, however I think we failed on this today by a couple of minutes. But a good team turnout of two senior teams, masters team, an incomplete masters 2nd team, and a ladies team, not to mention the juniors running very well as usual.

Hi GazB, I'm sure I saw you running well on leg 1...?

Well done Travs. Your senior team were just in front of the Wolves seniors. My vet team were 4th, down on bronze last year, missing a couple of automatic choices. I felt a bit like you - ran as hard as I could - so was disappointed with my slowest ever time of 21.24. Age and injury I suppose, though it wasn't helped by the chaotic start on leg 1!

Well done Gaz.

Seems we were 13th in the masters race. Possibly would have made top 10 with our automatic choices, if they hadn't got shifted into another team, but still wouldn't have challenged you lot vying for medals!

Managed to make the list for 'top 10 on the leg' but doesn't hide the fact that I feel I should have posted a quicker time...!

Spectated at the National 6-Stage Road Relays today in Sutton Park. Weather was changeable and in fact pretty gorgeous for a while, despite the terrible morning.

It was a very close race for the first 5 legs, and looked like it could be a thrilling sprint finish, but the leaders spread a little over the last leg... Stockport coming home with a good 15-20secs to spare over Leeds, with Aldershot a further 15 secs back in 3rd.... then Tonbridge (ever successful, although they hauled themselves up from about 8th in the final couple of legs). Then Lincoln, Cambridge, Barnet, Liverpool, Highgate...

Cambridge were right at the the front with a couple of legs to go but dropped right out it.

Cov Godiva about 50th.

A few Fell teams representing.... Telford AC, Kendal AC, Blackburn Harriers, Holmfirth Harriers, Rotherham.... well done all.

Can't really comment on the ladies race, as it got so spread out, then mingling in with the men's..... I think Aldershot were in amongst it, as well as Leeds...
    Last edited by Travs; 06-10-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Midlands 12-stage on Saturday at Sutton Park as always.

Our firsts will be looking for a strong performance.

Due to clashes with the Coventry half Marathon, and several people well into their Manchester Marathon training, we haven't been able to put a 2nd team together. I'll be running 2nd leg for a very incomplete 2nd team, in fact i don't even think we'll have enough people to cover the four long legs.

But it's a run out and a chance to race no-pressure and compare time with last year. Hoping for an improvement, especially considering the awful conditions in which last year's race was ran...!
    Last edited by Travs; 20-03-2019 at 10:23 AM.