Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nettles

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    After yesterday's run, I will now have to abandon a particular route due to the blighters. Shoulder high grass, nettles and brambles. Almost impenetrable but persevered as the thought of turning around was equally unappealing. Will return next in the autumn if the Worcestershire CC path clearing team don't show up.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    After yesterday's run, I will now have to abandon a particular route due to the blighters. Shoulder high grass, nettles and brambles. Almost impenetrable but persevered as the thought of turning around was equally unappealing. Will return next in the autumn if the Worcestershire CC path clearing team don't show up.
    Surely the trick is to use all your local routes on a regular 'rota' to stop or stamp down such growth before it becomes excessive?
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Surely the trick is to use all your local routes on a regular 'rota' to stop or stamp down such growth before it becomes excessive?
    Nice idea but sadly the amount of running I do does not keep pace with the growth of weeds. I'm also one for going off the beaten track so doubt they get much footfall other than me and the dog. In some ways it's a good thing - I enjoy the seasonality of some of my routes knowing that the clear, fast path of winter will at some point become impassable later in the year. A chance to rethink old routes and take in some different scenery.

I was once told that the serotonin boost nettles provide acts as a light stimulant, but that too much can leave you wobbly.

Also that having a good sting in spring can raise antibodies to reduce the immune system's response to pollen, lowering susceptibility to hayfever for a period of time.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Also that having a good sting in spring can raise antibodies to reduce the immune system's response to pollen, lowering susceptibility to hayfever for a period of time.
    Makes sense: I am the only one in my family who doesn't get much hayfever, and I am the only one who goes running along nettle-lined footpaths.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Or invest in a sickle and spend an hour chopping the brambles and nettles down; I've "adopted" a stretch of path nearby so I can use it wearing shorts. The sickle is carried in a bag before use so I don't frighten passers-by!
    John McIntosh
    Rossendale Harriers

SO read somewhere else that a good sting occupies the immune system so it's too busy to get het-up over Pollen.
    Tried this the other day but still suffering. Need to find a few more patches I think!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Competed in the 4th round of this year's lakeland lanequest series last night at Ulverston. After 75 minutes of the permitted 120, I was collecting my 9th control whilst asrtide the top tube of my bike when the vegetation beside the fingerpost gave away and my front wheel dived into a hidden ditch, This pitched me over the 'bars; I demolished part of the thorn hedge and landed in the bottom of the ditch covered in nettle stings, thistle and thorn scratches with the bike on top of me and some of the hedge on top of the bike. Keswick AC's Angela Brand-Barker was directly behind me; she first rescued the bike then me. I thanked her profusely but did remonstrate that in rescuing the bike she had not valeted it!
    In the remaining 45 minutes I managed to punch at another 9 controls - driven on by the stimulation of the nettle stings and embedded thorns in all 4 limbs and nose.

Ian Roberts, Bowland F.R.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 27-06-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Competed in the 4th round of this year's lakeland lanequest series last night at Ulverston. After 75 minutes of the permitted 120, I was collecting my 9th control whilst asrtide the top tube of my bike when the vegetation beside the fingerpost gave away and my front wheel dived into a hidden ditch, This pitched me over the 'bars; I demolished part of the thorn hedge and landed in the bottom of the ditch covered in nettle stings, thistle and thorn scratches with the bike on top of me and some of the hedge on top of the bike. Keswick AC's Angela Brand-Barker was directly behind me; she first rescued the bike then me. I thanked her profusely but did remonstrate that in rescuing the bike she had not valeted it!
    In the remaining 45 minutes I managed to punch at another 9 controls - driven on by the stimulation of the nettle stings and embedded thorns in all 4 limbs and nose.

Ian Roberts, Bowland F.R.
    Well done in completing Ian though sounds like a minor scrape by your standards.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Keswick AC's Angela Brand-Barker was directly behind me; she first rescued the bike then me.
    Name-dropper!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges