Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 2017/18

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    I've always really enjoyed the XC. Unfortunately my job no longer allows regular attendance and my league is over the other side of the country as I'm first counter for New Marske and Settle (...my 'redundant' 2nd claim club) don't seem to compete in local league. I sometimes get one or two league races in and a champs race if I'm lucky and fit enough. I do find the quality of course can be hit and miss but you take what comes.
    You are allowed to run as a guest in the Mid Lancs or Red Rose which you may find easier to get to.
    You have to be EA affiliated and a club member that's all.
    So for the Mid Lancs, you just turn up and pay on the day and run 1st Claim New Marske and they mark you as a non-counter.
    Particularly the ones after Xmas in teh Mid Lancs might interest you with Burnley, Lancaster and Ulverston.

With the Red Rose I think you can enter online in advance. Not sure if you can enter on day. I think you can.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    You are allowed to run as a guest in the Mid Lancs or Red Rose which you may find easier to get to.
    You have to be EA affiliated and a club member that's all.
    So for the Mid Lancs, you just turn up and pay on the day and run 1st Claim New Marske and they mark you as a non-counter.
    Particularly the ones after Xmas in teh Mid Lancs might interest you with Burnley, Lancaster and Ulverston.

With the Red Rose I think you can enter online in advance. Not sure if you can enter on day. I think you can.

I might look in to that tbh. I used to run Mid Lancs when I was with CFR but they withdrew without entirely informing there members. Imaginemy joy at turnig up at Chorley or wherever only to be told CFR hadn't entered any teams!!? Most of my problem though is I work a lot of weekends so time is limited.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Prefer the xc to even the fells Travs. I'll be doing the Birmingham League Div 1 races too, for Wolves and Bilston, though maybe not the first one. Plus the Staffs, Midlands and Midland Masters, and Masters Home international. Doing the BMAF xc relays this Saturday at Long Eaton, though too short legs for me at just 3k. Missed Aldersley as I was in Belfast doing the NI Masters trials. Proper muddy! Have guested in the Red Rose and Mid Lancs before - great races and nice to take on different folk. Also used to do the N Staffs for many years when in Staffs Moorlands.

Quote Originally Posted by gazb View Post
    Prefer the xc to even the fells Travs. I'll be doing the Birmingham League Div 1 races too, for Wolves and Bilston, though maybe not the first one. Plus the Staffs, Midlands and Midland Masters, and Masters Home international. Doing the BMAF xc relays this Saturday at Long Eaton, though too short legs for me at just 3k. Missed Aldersley as I was in Belfast doing the NI Masters trials. Proper muddy! Have guested in the Red Rose and Mid Lancs before - great races and nice to take on different folk. Also used to do the N Staffs for many years when in Staffs Moorlands.
    Hi Gaz. I'll be at the BMAF on Saturday as well, although running in our b team which is not yet complete, so might be a bit of a bodge-job. 3km is also way too short for me.

I'll be doing every possible relay and champ event I can manage, but looking at the calendar I think I'll miss at least half of the actual league races due to clashes with fell races. Which will be a shame as running at a high standard such as div 1 would surely be a good thing.

I made it into the picture on the Athletics Weekly report for the Midlands Relays. Just need to get my name/face into the Fellrunner then my life will be complete...!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I made it into the picture on the Athletics Weekly report for the Midlands Relays. Just need to get my name/face into the Fellrunner then my life will be complete...!
    Well you say that now but next you'll aspire to be in Sports Illustrated. (Swimsuit issue?) and then after that where..?

https://www.si.com/swimsuit/
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 26-10-2017 at 03:46 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

British Masters Relays today at Long Eaton. Only 3km, I will struggle with the pace. Looks like I'm in the b team which may or may not be complete. I'll give it a right go and try to put myself in contention for the a team next time.

Banned
    Good on her Travs��
    I would struggle with the distance.

Thanks Stagger.

Interesting race today. I went off first for the b team, and was up against a significantly faster runner in the a team. My naive tactic was to stay with him as long as possible and hang on for dear life at the end. To a point it worked. After the opening melee and the race began to settle down, he was 20 yards ahead, and after a fast 2km I was only about 20secs behind. But I felt the pace on the final km, and dropped another 20secs on him, although held my own position well.

Came over the line in 11:29 which I was pleasantly surprised with. Think I was comfortably the fastest in the b team, and even beat one of the a guys, and was only 2 seconds behind a guy who took 50 seconds out of me last week. So hopefully gave the coaches something to consider, although they do see me as something of a permanent fixture on opening legs for relays, as I'm a "racer" in their words! Guess I need to perform well in the individual races.

Have to say it didn't feel like a cross country course, it was generally short parkland grass with one slight woodland section, although in fairness it's early in the season and not had time for the traditional mud soaked courses to thrive yet.

Hello to gazb who wiped the floor with me and beat me by a good 45 seconds. Also saw a few Fell team vests around... Telford AC, Bingley, amongst them.

Banned
    Very well done sub. 12 is good ��