Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vert km world record

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Vert km world record

While runners in Britain were being blown away by storm Brian last Saturday, the World Record for Vertical Kilometre running was being blown away by Italian skyrunner Philip Götsch at Fully in Switzerland. His time of 28m53s took an amazing 49 seconds off the previous record, set at Fully in 2014 by Urban Zemmer, and is (to the best of my knowledge) only the second time that a vertical kilometre has been run in under 30 minutes.

https://www.runningpassion.it/news/k...-al-femminile/ [If, like me, your Italian isn't very good, Google translate does make reasonable sense of this.] Results at https://www.mso-chrono.ch/fr/results...ully/dashboard

Those of you with long fell-running memories may be interested to know that Mike Short, still running for Horwich RMI Harriers after all these years living in Switzerland, posted a very respectable time of 41:12 at the age of 69. He runs the VK at Fully every year, and I am fairly sure that this year was the first time since reaching the age of 60 that anyone has beaten him in the M60 category (or Vétérans III as they call it).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    While runners in Britain were being blown away by storm Brian last Saturday, the World Record for Vertical Kilometre running was being blown away by Italian skyrunner Philip Götsch at Fully in Switzerland. His time of 28m53s took an amazing 49 seconds off the previous record, set at Fully in 2014 by Urban Zemmer, and is (to the best of my knowledge) only the second time that a vertical kilometre has been run in under 30 minutes.

https://www.runningpassion.it/news/k...-al-femminile/ [If, like me, your Italian isn't very good, Google translate does make reasonable sense of this.] Results at https://www.mso-chrono.ch/fr/results...ully/dashboard

Those of you with long fell-running memories may be interested to know that Mike Short, still running for Horwich RMI Harriers after all these years living in Switzerland, posted a very respectable time of 41:12 at the age of 69. He runs the VK at Fully every year, and I am fairly sure that this year was the first time since reaching the age of 60 that anyone has beaten him in the M60 category (or Vétérans III as they call it).
    Is this record 'confined' to the one course?
    I was just thinking that one's time would be very dependent on the angle of the course - i.e one kilometre of vertical ascent over two kilometres of travel, or over three kilometres of travel, etc.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Banned
    That's what I though too WD

Banned
    Have we only Scotland in the UK where this would be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Have we only Scotland in the UK where this would be possible?
    Possible in Snowdonia, but the distance is prohibitive to any meaningful time. The Welsh 1000m has a vertical k at the start to 5 miles ish on top of the Carneddau.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Is this record 'confined' to the one course?
    I was just thinking that one's time would be very dependent on the angle of the course - i.e one kilometre of vertical ascent over two kilometres of travel, or over three kilometres of travel, etc.
    No, there are many Vertical Kilometre courses around Europe (and a few in North America). This year a Vertical Kilometre World Circuit has been introduced, including 17 races: http://www.vkworldcircuit.com . But the course at Fully has consistently been the fastest one for many years.

You are right that it depends on the angle of the course. The course at Fully is the second steepest in the world (1000m vertical in 1920m horizontal). The steepest is Le Grand Serre in France (1000m vertical in 1811m horizontal), where Kilian Jornet holds the course record of 30m25s. I think the path at Fully is easier than the grassy hillside at Le Grand Serre.

Quote Originally Posted by felltrumpet View Post
    Possible in Snowdonia, but the distance is prohibitive to any meaningful time. The Welsh 1000m has a vertical k at the start to 5 miles ish on top of the Carneddau.
    The usual stipulation is that the 1000m climb should be within 5km horizontal, so climbing from Aber to Carnedd Llewelyn doesn't qualify. The only place in the UK outside Scotland where you can do a Vertical Kilometre is the Watkin Path up Snowdon (the Llanberis path is about 20 metres short of height, and too long horizontally). Anyone fancy organising a Watkin 1000 race?
    Last edited by anthonykay; 25-10-2017 at 04:29 PM.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I’d fancy a bash at it informally. Didn’t realise the valley was as low as that until I looked at the map!
    Good underfoot on the Watkin too, straight up at the last bit or round the corner to the cafe first?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by felltrumpet View Post
    I’d fancy a bash at it informally. Didn’t realise the valley was as low as that until I looked at the map!
    Good underfoot on the Watkin too, straight up at the last bit or round the corner to the cafe first?
    I'd go straight up: the object is to do the 1000+ metres of climbing from the valley to the top as quickly as possible, not to follow all the twists and turns of the path.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    No, there are many Vertical Kilometre courses around Europe (and a few in North America). This year a Vertical Kilometre World Circuit has been introduced, including 17 races: http://www.vkworldcircuit.com . But the course at Fully has consistently been the fastest one for many years.

You are right that it depends on the angle of the course. The course at Fully is the second steepest in the world (1000m vertical in 1920m horizontal). The steepest is Le Grand Serre in France (1000m vertical in 1811m horizontal), where Kilian Jornet holds the course record of 30m25s. I think the path at Fully is easier than the grassy hillside at Le Grand Serre.

The usual stipulation is that the 1000m climb should be within 5km horizontal, so climbing from Aber to Carnedd Llewelyn doesn't qualify. The only place in the UK outside Scotland where you can do a Vertical Kilometre is the Watkin Path up Snowdon (the Llanberis path is about 20 metres short of height, and too long horizontally). Anyone fancy organising a Watkin 1000 race?
    I think you are on to something there AK.
    It's a lot more accessible to the fell running community than the Highlands or abroad.

Chip timer and 1min interval's.

They do run a Snowden uphill only race.

More I think about that challenge more I feel like getting fit to just to have a good ����

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    I think you are on to something there AK.
    It's a lot more accessible to the fell running community than the Highlands or abroad.

Chip timer and 1min interval's.

They do run a Snowden uphill only race.

More I think about that challenge more I feel like getting fit to just to have a good ����
    Not a vertical Km, but I can recommend the Grouse Grind just to the North of Vancouver, a beautiful woodland stepped path which is a vertical 2800' in about 2.5 miles, very steep and relentless steps up to the top. Chip timing available, and leader board information at the summit. Its a bit of a national obsession for locals some of whom will do it several times a week.The nearest I can think of is Pen Yr Olewen from Ogwen, but their are no Grizzly Bears at the summit!