Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Vert km world record

  1. #11
    Master Stagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Its a secret!
    Posts
    9,005
    Errr, a little too far to travel.

    Wasdale show race up Kirkfell is 2400' in 1.1 mile for the climb up, then you have a good descent(or not) ��
    A quote,

    "The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall."

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Not a vertical Km, but I can recommend the Grouse Grind just to the North of Vancouver, a beautiful woodland stepped path which is a vertical 2800' in about 2.5 miles, very steep and relentless steps up to the top. Chip timing available, and leader board information at the summit. Its a bit of a national obsession for locals some of whom will do it several times a week.
    Ha! I've done that!

    I was on a touring holiday and the tour manager who was an all round athletic 35 year old looked a bit stunned when I said I would follow him up. Everyone else in the party used the ski lift. I told him not to worry about me and I got to the top a few minutes after him where he was waiting expecting to have to call an air ambulance. The relief on his face was hilarious but hey! I had changed out of my flip flops before starting!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Ha! I've done that!

    I was on a touring holiday and the tour manager who was an all round athletic 35 year old looked a bit stunned when I said I would follow him up. Everyone else in the party used the ski lift. I told him not to worry about me and I got to the top a few minutes after him where he was waiting expecting to have to call an air ambulance. The relief on his face was hilarious but hey! I had changed out of my flip flops before starting!
    Its a good challenge Graham. I guess more mountain running by nature than fell running. I read with some hilarity the blurb and hype surrounding it, the training that needed to be done etc. buts for most fell runners its a reasonably straight forward challenge. Glad I didn't have to run down it though!

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Its a good challenge Graham. I guess more mountain running by nature than fell running. I read with some hilarity the blurb and hype surrounding it, the training that needed to be done etc. buts for most fell runners its a reasonably straight forward challenge. Glad I didn't have to run down it though!
    Yes. It's only 2 years ago but I had forgotten all about it - so thank you for the memory.

    The fitness freak tour manager was so relieved that he didn't have a cardiac arrest case on his hands that he announced to the reassembled group what (he and) I had done with times. So I had to go into modest "Me? Aw shucks!" mode.

    A rare event in itself.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    697
    I'm glad you mentioned the Grouse Grind, Corniceman. There is a race up it every year, usually in September. The record time of 25m01s, set by Sebastian Salas in the 2010 race, represents a vertical ascent rate of 0.568 vertical metres per second, which I believe was the fastest ascent rate recorded in any fell/mountain race anywhere in the world -- until Philip Götsch's effort last week at Fully, which was 0.577 metres/second.

    I have actually visited the Grouse Grind myself, but it was a much less satisfactory experience than Graham's. I was in Vancouver for a few days with my fiancée (as she was then), and we were being shown around by a friend who had recently moved there. He took us to the base of the Grouse Grind, and we started (slowly) walking up. It didn't take long for my fiancée and our friend to decide that they had seen enough; despite my protests, they turned back. I carried on up for a few minutes, but then decided that I didn't want to endanger the prospects of my fiancée becoming my wife (which she did, a month later), so I too turned and ran back down.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned the Grouse Grind, Corniceman. There is a race up it every year, usually in September. The record time of 25m01s, set by Sebastian Salas in the 2010 race, represents a vertical ascent rate of 0.568 vertical metres per second, which I believe was the fastest ascent rate recorded in any fell/mountain race anywhere in the world -- until Philip Götsch's effort last week at Fully, which was 0.577 metres/second.

    I have actually visited the Grouse Grind myself, but it was a much less satisfactory experience than Graham's. I was in Vancouver for a few days with my fiancée (as she was then), and we were being shown around by a friend who had recently moved there. He took us to the base of the Grouse Grind, and we started (slowly) walking up. It didn't take long for my fiancée and our friend to decide that they had seen enough; despite my protests, they turned back. I carried on up for a few minutes, but then decided that I didn't want to endanger the prospects of my fiancée becoming my wife (which she did, a month later), so I too turned and ran back down.
    That's a nice story AK! I have great memories of watching my family emerge one by one at the top, wife last but pleased that she had beaten the time of one of our Nottingham neighbours!
    By the way I was marshalling last night at the top of Beacon hill for the skeleton run. I assume its not really a serious enough race for you, but always looks like good fun.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    By the way I was marshalling last night at the top of Beacon hill for the skeleton run. I assume its not really a serious enough race for you, but always looks like good fun.
    It's not a matter of seriousness, it's just that I don't like running in the dark.

    Actually, there are several races within Beacon Hill Country Park each year, all of which so far have been on dates/times when I have been otherwise occupied, or else the entries have filled up months in advance. In any case, none of them are as steep as my training runs up to Beacon Hill from home!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    697
    New female world record for the Vertical Kilometre, at the Verticale du Grand Serre (Cholonge, near Grenoble), last Sunday: Axelle Mollaret ran 34m36s, taking 8s off the old record. Among the men, Rémi Bonnet posted 30m13s, which I am fairly sure is the third fastest VK ever, and is a new record for Le Grand Serre. It will be interesting to see what happens at the Fully VK on 20 October: the course at Fully is generally considered to be the fastest VK course in the world, with a men's record of 28m53s being set there last year.

    https://www.vkworldcircuit.com/its-r...u-grand-serre/
    https://www.kmvertical.ch
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •