Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First steps near Rochdale

First steps near Rochdale

Hi,

I've recently started road running, and would like to give Fell Running a go. Also, my 18 year-old daughter would like to have a try at running on trails. We both live in Rochdale, so there should be plenty of places to run. What's the best way to get started?

Ian

Banned
    Welcome Ian,
    You have found the right place for fell running.
    How fit are you?
    Or
    Find a local short race, get some fell/trail shoes and have a go.

When you graduate to longer or tougher races you will need all the mandatory equipment and a bum bag.
    The equipment is listed on the main page of the site.

Ask any questions you want and someone usually has a good answer.

All the best ��

Banned
    http://fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=5196

A good starter over your way ��

Super Moderator
    Stoop - I will be there, err, possibly

http://fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=5119

Another fun option ��
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Apologies for going 'off thread' but seeing the title 'First Steps near Rochdale' has me giggling in a morbid sort of way.
    Only this weekend a group of us that were apprentices together (way back in the late '60s) have just been informed of the demise of an ex colleague.
    He was maybe 10 years older than us and around autumn of 1970 he left the company to join Lancashire Constabulary. His first shift was walking the beat, round and around the square in front of Rochdale town hall, freezing his nads off. Hence 'First Steps near (in) Rochdale' strikes an amusing chord!
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Thanks for the pointers to the races. I might give The Stoop a go, even if it means running in a Santa hat!

I will need to get some trail shoes. My road shoes have support to prevent over-pronation. Do trail shoes offer the same support?

Hello Ian...

Hopefully someone with more experience/knowledge than me will be along to correct me. But I would be looking at pure fell shoes as opposed to trail shoes, if you are looking to race, especially over the coming winter months. If you hit a really boggy, slippy race, trail shoes won't be of great use.

Fell shoes certainly don't offer any foot support, they are generally quite flat to the ground in order to maximise grip and prevent the ankle from twisting. Trail shoes would I'm sure offer the same kind of support if you picked the right ones. But I did a race over very tough terrain 6 weeks ago in aggressive trail/mountain shoes, and they just didn't do the job. I slipped all over the place, and they just don't fit the feet securely enough and will lead to all sorts of issues when you hit steep ground. Whereas fell shoes generally fit like a glove if you have the correct size.

Hi Travs,

Thanks for that. I must admit I thought trails shoes/fell shoes were the same thing! I guess they are best tried on before purchase. Any recommendations on retailers, brands, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by ianm View Post
    Hi Travs,

Thanks for that. I must admit I thought trails shoes/fell shoes were the same thing! I guess they are best tried on before purchase. Any recommendations on retailers, brands, etc?
    If you're going online, look for free delivery and returns - in my experience, sizing goes out the window with this type of shoe. My first order was from sportsshoes.com as they were cheap - but when the shoes didn't fit, I found I'd spent a tenner just to try shoes on. Wiggle and Amazon are ok, but if in doubt, try and go to an actual shop. Just bear in mind, you're not going to get fell shoes in the usual high street stores.

Quote Originally Posted by ianm View Post
    Hi Travs,

Arguably the best and most well known retailer would be Pete Bland Sports, they have a fantastic shop in Kendal if you are likely to be around that way. Otherwise their website has plenty of info and of course all of their product range. They are also very helpful if you message them directly on facebook, and I would suggest you do this and they will make some good recommendations.

There are several fell shoe makes and I wouldn't try to persuade you in any particular direction... but Inov8 are my choice, and they are generally the most often seen at races, there's probably a good reason for that. But there's also Salamon, La Sportiva, Walsh, and a few others. My personal view is that Salamon are a bit over-hyped and over-priced, but others swear by them. La Sportiva are fantastic quality but expensive, try them on first. Walsh have a big following and are the traditional fell shoe, but perhaps a little outdated (although I've never tried them).

My tip would be to go with an established make such as Inov8 or Salamon, but if you can try them on first then it would really help.