Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First steps near Rochdale

That's great thanks!. I'll have to persuade my wife that we need a weekend in the Lakes soon ;-)

Also, Kong Adventure in Keswick are very good for all sorts of fell running, climbing, etc, gear. If you are after a bag or anything similar, they'll generally let you take one out on a 'test run' to see if it suits. Though I highly doubt they'll let you do this with a pair of fell shoes!

Needle Sports in Keswick is also a good shop.

Although if you need stuff urgently and/or can't travel to the lakes, there's generally a limited stock of fell stuff in Up And Running which they probably have a branch in Manchester I would imagine. In the past I've gone into my nearest Up And Running (Birmingham), to try on a pair of Inov8 shoes, then gone home and ordered them from Pete Blands via their website. They also have a small selection of fell shoes in some of the larger Cotswold stores as well (La Sportiva and possibly Inov8/Salomon).
    Last edited by Travs; 31-10-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ianm View Post
    Hi Travs,

Thanks for that. I must admit I thought trails shoes/fell shoes were the same thing! I guess they are best tried on before purchase. Any recommendations on retailers, brands, etc?
    There is a massive spread within the "trail shoe" family. From ones that are perfectly ok on the roads through to the like of Inov8 Terroc and Salamon Fellraisers that are very much on the "fell" end of the spectrum. Both of those would be excellent choices. The Inov8 300 is the fell shoe of choice.
    Be carefull within a couple of years you will be like me with a large box full of shoes for every occasion.

Personally I reckon the Fellraisers were the best shoes I ever bought. Just retired a pair after 1800 Km. They were looking a bit tired by that stage though.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 02-11-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    There is a massive spread within the "trail shoe" family. From ones that are perfectly ok on the roads through to the like of Inov8 Terroc and Salamon Fellraisers that are very much on the "fell" end of the spectrum. Both of those would be excellent choices. The Inov8 300 is the fell shoe of choice.
    Be carefull within a couple of years you will be like me with a large box full of shoes for every occasion.

Personally I reckon the Fellraisers were the best shoes I ever bought. Just retired a pair after 1800 Km. They were looking a bit tired by that stage though.
    Wiggle have the Speedtraks (the next incarnation of the Fellraiser) for £50 with free delivery and returns. Picked a pair up earlier this week and very happy with them, though had to go up half a size.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've ordered a pair of Speedtraks from Wiggle. I'll let you know how I get on.

Quote Originally Posted by ianm View Post
    Hi,

I've recently started road running, and would like to give Fell Running a go. Also, my 18 year-old daughter would like to have a try at running on trails. We both live in Rochdale, so there should be plenty of places to run. What's the best way to get started?

Ian
    That will be a great bonding with your daughter. I hope you will find a great spot to run.

Hi Ian,
    now live in the lakes but was in Rochdale Harriers for a long time......

Park run at watergrove is equivalent to a cat c fell race in terms of distance/climb. It is all on trails and will give you chance to talk to people.
    Andy O'Sullivan puts on a lot of races, mainly towards Whitworth, that are multi terrain. (Andems Runners) There will be a couple at Christmas.
    A good target race for a new fell runner would be the wardle skyline in April. I used to organise it.......
    Good luck

John A mentioned Rochdale Harriers, quite a few of them run on the fells so it is worth joining them. They organise a fell race as part of their 3 day event.
    John McIntosh
    Rossendale Harriers