Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Best' Fell Runners 2017

'Best' Fell Runners 2017

Hi all,

So I was wondering if people could point out the best known 2017 Fell performances. Who has been an outstanding athlete in the area and also nationally. Who are at the top of competitive Fell running in 2017... 😊👍

Vic Wilkinson at FTOP and PPP, amongst champs races and many other records (inc. 5th at European MR champs).
    Sarah Tunstall had a very good mountain running season, 2nd at the european champs and some other stand-out performances in big races.
    Carl Bell was imperious at Wasdale, fastest time in 27 years (with an extended start) I think.
    Fin Wild took 1.5mins off the Jura record, which has been lowered twice in 4 years from an 'unbeatable' position.
    Sam Tosh deserves a mention for coming back from injury to win the English champs, only 4 races so no room for error resulting in one 3rd and 3 1sts.

Of course it's often friends achieving a goal that makes you feel all fuzzy, or performances from people who have taken steps up and you no longer race against, that grab an individual's notice.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Have to agree with ba-ba above.

Victoria Wilkinson probably takes the headlines.

I don't know any of the top runners personally, so am only going on what I see when I'm out and about... but Carl Bell looked unstoppable in long races, so I think for the likes of Sam Tosh and Chris Arthur to be up there competing with him at the top of the champs, shows the talent is really coming through...

the best fell runner? Those that went out, whatever the weather, and got on with it. Those who struggled with injury or family life or work or mental health to do the best they could, regardless of if they raced or not, and if they did, what position they placed in.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

seems to me that 2 of the 3 posts you've started on this forum have the words "best" in them.
    "Best" is very subjective. As are "hardest", "challenging", "unique", "toughest".
    It all depends on where you're coming from and where you're at. If you're looking for some sort of definitive list of "hardest" and "best" then look at race stats and the winners of the English/Welsh/British Champs races.

It won't tell you a lot.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Thanks for the input Dave. Interpretations of these subjective words provide good inspiration and insight into national and/or local races. athletes to look out for if competing and athletes to read about for training inspiration. Subjective opinions are often more interesting than some stats. 👍

A few come to mind instantly when I think of 2017;

Chris Arthur, Carl Bell, Sam Tosh, Fin Wild, Victoria Wilkinson, Nichola Jackson.
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Antonio Cardinale

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Antonio Cardinale
    True legend

Banned
    Holmsey