Page 16 of 268 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

[QUOTE=CL;644086]
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

But here answer this. How did the remainers lose? How could your superior intellect and that of some remainers not convince enough people?
    Well as Dorothy Parker might have said: you can introduce a whore to culture but you cannot make her think.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

Well as Dorothy Parker might have said: you can introduce a whore to culture but you cannot make her think.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    You had to be really low in intelligence to believe we'd be immediately better off when leaving the EU because they'd told us you can't have a better deal out than in.
    And it appears that there were plenty of people around who are really low in intelligence. And the leaders of the Leave campaign weren't going to disillusion them: £350million per week, anyone?

People also seemed to believe the lies about it being really easy to make a good trade deal with the EU within two years, "because they would want to keep selling us their BMWs", even though this flew in the face of all the evidence: it took 7 years to seal the Canada/EU deal, and the attempt to make a deal between the EU and USA collapsed completely.

After the referendum, Witton Park of this parish was arguing that we should simply announce that we will be trading on WTO terms. Although I wanted to remain, I thought that if we had to leave, then WP's argument made a lot of sense: there would be a nasty shock to the economy (or at least many sectors of it), but at least we would all know what the shock was going to be, and we could try to prepare for it. [Of course this wouldn't solve the Irish border question.]

We had a good deal with the EU: it was called Membership, and like all deals, it came with many strings attached. If we wanted to cut the strings, then we couldn't expect to keep the benefits.

It now seems that the only thing wrong with the so-called "Project Fear" was that it completely underestimated what a fearful mess it was all going to be.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    And it appears that there were plenty of people around who are really low in intelligence. And the leaders of the Leave campaign weren't going to disillusion them: £350million per week, anyone?

People also seemed to believe the lies about it being really easy to make a good trade deal with the EU within two years, "because they would want to keep selling us their BMWs", even though this flew in the face of all the evidence: it took 7 years to seal the Canada/EU deal, and the attempt to make a deal between the EU and USA collapsed completely.

After the referendum, Witton Park of this parish was arguing that we should simply announce that we will be trading on WTO terms. Although I wanted to remain, I thought that if we had to leave, then WP's argument made a lot of sense: there would be a nasty shock to the economy (or at least many sectors of it), but at least we would all know what the shock was going to be, and we could try to prepare for it. [Of course this wouldn't solve the Irish border question.]

We had a good deal with the EU: it was called Membership, and like all deals, it came with many strings attached. If we wanted to cut the strings, then we couldn't expect to keep the benefits.

It now seems that the only thing wrong with the so-called "Project Fear" was that it completely underestimated what a fearful mess it was all going to be.
    Anthony there were lies or exaggerated claims presented on both sides of the argument and there are people who believed them. From my perspective I remember the 350 million claim and at the time I just took it as the usual 'lets bribe the public' election nonsense. I ignored it, then I went out and still voted leave. In other words it had no bearing on my decision.

There were also people who voted remain because they believed implausible claims. But I certainly wouldn't spew hatred at them like Graham B does towards leavers. Oh and that you merrily approved of.

There were also people who voted remain because they believed implausible claims. But I certainly wouldn't spew hatred at them like Graham B does towards leavers. Oh and that you merrily approved of.

Tsch tsch CL. I don't do hatred. How can one hate people who believe in Father Christmas?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Surly when you resign you just send a signed letter and the contract ends?
    You pay joining fees NOT leaving fees.

Thanks euro but we're off, see ya!

I think you need to check the terms of your contract before rushing to any assumptions. It’s very unlikely the contract will back up the scenario you describe.

As it’s a very complex situation and impossible to give a simple answer to please address any further questions on contract law to your solicitor as it very much appears you need some “expert” advice.

HTH

😜

And a plus one to this. It would be a very good day if a mechanism was put in place that made politicians truly accountable to their actions and deceits.

That was a bit unnecessary Breezey even if you meant it without hostility.

Banned
    Nice polite reply Shaun.

The vote to go in was to join the common market not a superstate.

Someone moved the goals!!

They did Stagger. But that’s the irony of representative democracy for you. We voted in those MPs into Westminster that agreed to move those goal posts.