Page 68 of 268 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Super Moderator
    All gone a bit quiet on here. Anyone else relieved / pleased a no-dealer might be looking less likely than previously?

There isn't really any such thing as a no dealer.

You need to separate out the elements.

The first element is the Withdrawal Agreement. This is a pre-agreed way whilst we are still members of the EU to sign up to a 3-4 year transition.

During this period we are still subject to the EU rules and regs, the ECJ and all the trappings of EU membership but without any influence.

Talk of continuity, talk of avoiding a cliff edge are misleading as we do not know what the EU might pass in that period.
    I've been in an industry clobbered by EU policy. Once bitten….

If we cannot agree that WA, we would leave under WTO terms as far as trade goes and we would end our other links to CAP, CFP, Erasmus, ECJ...…. all the EU institutions.

However, we already have several side deals on transport, travel etc being cleared in anticipation and there will be more up to the 29th March and beyond.

It doesn't mean we won't have a future arrangement, it just means it won't be done under the umbrella of article 50.

Personally I welcome that.

On March 30th I would still be prepared to keep the £39B on the table and the UK can then talk to the EU as a 3rd country, volunteer to retain standards while further dialogue goes ahead and I actually think it has a better chance of us agreeing a deal that might be more acceptable.

Currently the EU says it cannot talk future relationship until we leave and that's a big problem, signing away a lot, not just money either, but trade policy and legal powers, and for the possibility of limbo for 4 years and beyond that four years, the possibility of more acrimony as we would be in the backstop situation.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Hard to see anything happening on March 29th.

I know Patrick. The fog has got too thick.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

People will call it "kicking the can down the road", but this worked really well with an extremly controversial issue in Ireland. Personally I would go for the same, give this grouping a few months to trash out the various options in a non-partison environment, so they can come up with a plan and either put it to parliment or the people.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ion-referendum
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 22-02-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Why can you not accept that it has already been put to the people and the answer was LEAVE.

We did not vote to negotiate a plan, agreement, back stop or any other delaying bollocks but just simply to LEAVE and, when we have, then the negotiations could start.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I think it's because a substantial proportion of those who voted to remain think a substantial proportion of those who voted to leave are stupid for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I think it's because a substantial proportion of those who voted to remain think a substantial proportion of those who voted to leave are stupid for doing so.
    Oh yes. Thanks for the tip off forum regular. I really like this as well.

Genius. 😂

Haha that’s exactly what I think 🤔

Banned
    You had a vote.
    You voted for your choice.
    Now please have the decency to accept the result.
    We live in a democracy. Or do we?