Page 46 of 268 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I have never head of Professor McCrea before, is he a remainer?
    I wasn't talking about the Prof, I was on about the venerable Doctor

"In contrast in the UK, no detail on what form Brexit would take was given."
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Looking back, the British political system's utter failure to manage the Brexit process is striking. Unlike Ireland, the UK has very limited experience of referendums, and this lack of experience has shown. Ireland's written Constitution means that in advance of a referendum the precise legal consequences of it passing have to be spelled out.

In contrast in the UK, no detail on what form Brexit would take was given. Unbelievably, Theresa May, and a huge majority in the House of Commons, voted to trigger Article 50 knowing that it had a strict two-year time limit when the UK had yet to work out what it wanted out of the Brexit process.
    So this mess is actually Cameron's fault for authorising a referendum without defining the legal consequences of a leave vote. No wonder he did a runner, and left his successor to pick up the pieces/wreck her political career. His Mummy must be so proud of him.
    Even I don't know who The Grump is.
    I. Bickerstaff

The Conservative general election policy in 2015 included "Referendum on Britain’s EU membership". Teresa May endorsed that policy, she is just as complicit as Cameron.

The crowds outside parliament with their flags make it look like a medieval battle ground.

Super Moderator
    Grump ! You grumpy b*gger

Banned
    May is a month not a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Grump ! You grumpy b*gger
    Plenty of fuel available at the moment DT.
    I. Bickerstaff

Well, that was a proper kicking!

634 voted, majority of 230 against 😆

Aaaaaannnd next up, survivor mode (again) for May.
    Last edited by shaunaneto; 16-01-2019 at 09:05 AM.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/
    Jan 13th.

CON 38%(-1), LAB 41%(+1), LDEM 10%(+2), UKIP 4%(nc)
    Had not realized how close it still it. With the Tories imploding, Labour are still only 3 pts ahead.
    That waster Jeremy Corbyn is really running out of wriggle room now. He is actually going to have to make a decision. It could be the first one he made since becoming leader.

Super Moderator
    He chose that wretched red tie Pat. Or at least I guess he did; no one else would have advised him to wear it
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    The Conservative general election policy in 2015 included "Referendum on Britain’s EU membership". Teresa May endorsed that policy, she is just as complicit as Cameron.

The crowds outside parliament with their flags make it look like a medieval battle ground.
    Aren't all 650 MPs culpable if only by omission? None seem to have the intellectual capacity to understand or solve the problem. Too busy telling us FACTS, which in truth are merely unsubstantiated opinions. "A no deal Brexit will be an economic catastrophe" - really? Prove it!
    The political class have forgotten they are elected to serve the country, and not be self-serving. "When WE are in power" sums up the attitude, which has evolved over the last 15/20 years if not longer. As a few commentators have observed, the main stream parties are about to find out what the electorate think of them after this latest debacle, and it may not be pretty.
    I. Bickerstaff