Page 108 of 268 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158208 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 2674

Thread: Brexit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Here is a more recent article saying the same thing.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/revenue-pr...55703-Jan2019/
    I wonder if his "Plan" has been OKed by the EU, and if so why the backstop?
    Simple . The backstop is designed to hamstring uk negotiation.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Simple . The backstop is designed to hamstring uk negotiation.
    Absolutely. The whole case for the backstop is unraveling as it becomes clear that there would be no hard border in the event of no deal. Any customs checks would take place away from the border. It’s deeply depressing that the British Government has allowed itself to be fooled into agreeing to the backstop. It was only ever there as a means to weaken the UK and kept under the control of the EU.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    You are right Travs.

If Remain win 52 / 48 I wonder what concessions they will give to Leavers? Maybe a best of 3? In fact what would they have given had ref 1 been like that?

As Stolly said earlier "something that recognises the split in the country and feels like a sensible compromise that could broadly satisfy both points of view"

Somehow, had Cameron and his mates won 52/48 I cannot see they would have offered the 48% anything. It would have been stupid as the options with the EU were only ever In or Out. This halfway stuff is bogus fudge from people that want to pave the way for a return.

I actually think there are other issues here linked in to Devolution.

The English outside of London are largely ignored. They have been left out of the Assemblies that Wales, Scotland and NI have.

London has it's assembly, strong links to Parliament and International standing.

England has proportionately more people per MP as well, so pro rata less voice in the Commons.

England outside of London has a democratic deficit and was strongly pro-Brexit. There will be consequences for the politics of the UK.
    That's right Richard. Shauneto was saying Democracy was an ongoing process but we wouldn't have heard any of that talk from him if Remain had won. Indeed Dominic Sandbrook writing in the Daily Mail Monday: 'And whether we like it or not, the plain fact is that Britain must find room for both tribes, the 17.4 million who voted Leave as well as the 16.1 million who voted Remain.'

Well he's a Remainer who knows full well any compromise between Leave and Remain is a win for Remain. Again we wouldn't have heard any of this compromise nonsense if Remain had won. Not a squeak. In fact all those Leave politicians who think they can achieve anything like Brexit through compromise are fools.

Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    That's right Richard. Shauneto was saying Democracy was an ongoing process but we wouldn't have heard any of that talk from him if Remain had won. Indeed Dominic Sandbrook writing in the Daily Mail Monday: 'And whether we like it or not, the plain fact is that Britain must find room for both tribes, the 17.4 million who voted Leave as well as the 16.1 million who voted Remain.'

Well he's a Remainer who knows full well any compromise between Leave and Remain is a win for Remain. Again we wouldn't have heard any of this compromise nonsense if Remain had won. Not a squeak. In fact all those Leave politicians who think they can achieve anything like Brexit through compromise are fools.
    Good points Chris. So let's leave remainers out of the argument briefly. The question remains: what sort of leave do we think the majority of leavers voted for? Or perhaps more pertinently, what sort of leave do leavers favour now?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I don't think here will be civil unrest or anything like that... but a referendum billed as a 'once in a lifetime' chance to decide our future in the EU, seems incomprehensible that it could be overturned 3 years later. Then what happens.... best out of three...???

My personal view is that leave would win again. Then where are we? Still no majority in parliament. They have already displayed that any so-called 'will of the people' doesn't mean a jot, so we have wasted 9 months to be back at the same place.

I'd support a referendum along the lines of "no deal" or "leave with current deal".... but i'm afraid the remaining ship seems to have sailed, and to bring it back makes a mockery of the political system in the country (which is already at it's lowest ebb).
    I disagree Travs. I think there will be a breakdown of law and order if Parliament continues to deny the result. In the end though Brexit will go through as our political class are replaced by those promising to take control and implement the result. It'll be easy because people will look at Theresa May and say a radical party can't be any worse than that liar.

Banned
    The government couldn't manage a piss-up in a brewery.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Good points Chris. So let's leave remainers out of the argument briefly. The question remains: what sort of leave do we think the majority of leavers voted for? Or perhaps more pertinently, what sort of leave do leavers favour now?
    We know what leave meant the question was clear. Whatever relationship with EU is the best while honouring the principles of the winning side.

Now I don't believe in a second ref but if someone twisted my arm the only one's who could take part would be the 17.4 million winners. They would decide between the alternatives that honour the result. So Mrs May's deal wouldn't count.

I know what you're going to say to that......

Master
    Is Rees-Mogg about to fall prey to the 'let's compromise' trap? I really like him so I hope not.

Is Rees-Mogg about to fall prey to the 'let's compromise' trap? I really like him so I hope not.
    You really like him????? Wow

We know what leave meant the question was clear. Whatever relationship with EU is the best while honouring the principles of the winning side.

Now I don't believe in a second ref but if someone twisted my arm the only one's who could take part would be the 17.4 million winners. They would decide between the alternatives that honour the result. So Mrs May's deal wouldn't count.

I know what you're going to say to that......
    So the only people allowed a future vote would be those who listened to and believed the lies peddled by the fool Farage and his racist cronies and Boris the fool. Sounds logical