Page 192 of 268 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 2674

Thread: Brexit

Banned
    You couldnt make it up.
    Apart from the stupidity of EU commencing legal action against italy for refusing to beggar its citizens
    (this will not end well, watch this space)
    And attacking poland for having the temerity to decide how it wants to organise its judiciary.

The latest madness:
    They are starting proceedings against ALL 27 COUNTRIES! for failing to implement their precious services directive!

Juncker was complaining this week, that he didnt have a castle or private jet. Which shows how he views his self importance. These fines must be how he intends to fund both

No wonder the metaphorical machine guns point into the EU stopping people from leaving!!!
    Last edited by Oracle; 07-06-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Just read an interesting statement on a photograph in the guardian. It it there against a wall put up by some Brexit party supporters. Funny one to pick becasue that statement could be used as both a pro and anti Brexit argument. How many rights will we loose because of Brexit?

"The rights that are entrusted to us are not for us to give away"
    Tony Benn MP 1991.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ter--live-news

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Just read an interesting statement on a photograph in the guardian. It it there against a wall put up by some Brexit party supporters. Funny one to pick becasue that statement could be used as both a pro and anti Brexit argument. How many rights will we loose because of Brexit?

Tony Benn MP 1991.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ter--live-news
    Strange argument made by remainers.
    What rights do you think you will give away? For once an elected parliament can decide them.

Not corporate pressure groups in private closed meetings with unelected commissioners. Or did you not know that is how EU law is decided? That is part of why also why the EU is so dysfunctional.
    Last edited by Oracle; 12-06-2019 at 04:34 PM.

Funny one to pick becasue that statement could be used as both a pro and anti Brexit argument. How many rights will we loose because of Brexit?

Tony Benn MP 1991.
    If we extend that quote a bit further you can see what Benn is getting at:

"The rights that are entrusted to us are not for us to give away. Even if I agree with everything that is proposed, I cannot hand away powers lent to me for five years by the people of Chesterfield. I just could not do it. It would be theft of public rights."

He also said

"If I see someone who is powerful, be it a traffic warden, Rupert Murdoch, the head of a trade union or a Member of Parliament, I ask myself these five questions:

- What power have you got?
    - Where did you get it?
    - In whose interests do you exercise it?
    - To whom are you accountable?
    - How can we get rid of you?”

That last question is crucial. We cannot get rid of Jacques Delors; we cannot get rid of the [European] Commission. We can get rid of a Government; but we cannot get rid of European legislation that a Government have entrenched during their period in office—be they a Labour Government with the Tories coming or the other way around."

There wasn't much I agreed with Tony Benn on but he encapsulated perfectly why many people want to leave the European Union.

Banned
    It is true
    Far from extinguishing rights , leaving EU allows us to exercise them

It was EU rules prevented us from getting rid of Abu Hamza, he had "EU rights" to impose himself on our country in which we could not interfere.

As Benn rightly points out. If a british politician decided that you could show him the door at the next election.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    If we extend that quote a bit further you can see what Benn is getting at:

"The rights that are entrusted to us are not for us to give away. Even if I agree with everything that is proposed, I cannot hand away powers lent to me for five years by the people of Chesterfield. I just could not do it. It would be theft of public rights."

He also said

"If I see someone who is powerful, be it a traffic warden, Rupert Murdoch, the head of a trade union or a Member of Parliament, I ask myself these five questions:

- What power have you got?
    - Where did you get it?
    - In whose interests do you exercise it?
    - To whom are you accountable?
    - How can we get rid of you?”

That last question is crucial. We cannot get rid of Jacques Delors; we cannot get rid of the [European] Commission. We can get rid of a Government; but we cannot get rid of European legislation that a Government have entrenched during their period in office—be they a Labour Government with the Tories coming or the other way around."

There wasn't much I agreed with Tony Benn on but he encapsulated perfectly why many people want to leave the European Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    EU commencing legal action against italy for refusing to beggar its citizens
    (this will not end well, watch this space)
    You did not read the facts.

The EU is not against the Italian government handing peanuts to its citizens.
    The EU is warning Italy because their policies of lowering taxes for the rich while increasing handouts for the poor is going to increase the debt, which at 133% of GDP is already extremely high and risky, for Italy and its neighbours and partners.
    Or you wouldn't mind to bailout Italy as you dind't for Greece?
    Weather you are in the Euro or not, weather you are in the EU or not, a large country defaulting DOES affect you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    You did not read the facts.

The EU is not against the Italian government handing peanuts to its citizens.
    The EU is warning Italy because their policies of lowering taxes for the rich while increasing handouts for the poor is going to increase the debt, which at 133% of GDP is already extremely high and risky, for Italy and its neighbours and partners.
    Or you wouldn't mind to bailout Italy as you dind't for Greece?
    Weather you are in the Euro or not, weather you are in the EU or not, a large country defaulting DOES affect you.
    I am well aware of it. The fact is the Euro is a disaster and nothing can rescue it. It should never have been attempted. A piece of stupid ideology, considering every previous currency union failed including several in europe. They never learn. Only allowing exchange rates to equalize using a new currency can ever allow italy to recover, so their debt is revalued (AKA defaulted)

But the symptom of that failure is the destitution of populations,and whilst the Eurocrats binge in the trough they say "suck it up" to those populations. It cannot end well. And the more we in the UK can decouple from the catastrophe the better. It will still be a tidal wave.
    Last edited by Oracle; 16-06-2019 at 10:28 PM.

So now EU threatens Switzerland as an example to UK about Brexit. What sort of example is that?. Not nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    So now EU threatens Switzerland as an example to UK about Brexit. What sort of example is that?. Not nice.
    Just Googled it and found F.T article. Switzerland were always on a collusion course with the EU over the rules of the single market. They are effectivly in it via all of the individual deals but that 2014 referendum to limit freemovement was bound to cause problems. The old "Cake and Eat it".

Of course this is a classic case of the EU bullying another country becasue they are not playing by the rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_S...ion_initiative

https://www.ft.com/content/6ebabb6c-...a-60e35ef678d2

Banned
    One of the most fundamental agreements is the demand of EU, that if Switzerland stock market is to have access to the EU - they must treat all EU citizens as having equal rights to swiss citizens on Swiss soil.

The EU really does not respect sovereignty. It is annexation by other means.

The swiss rightly say Nein!
    Net result the market will be turned off.
    It is petty and vindictive.

That ideology prevents sensible deals being done.
    Which is our problem over Northern Ireland.

All ideologues create the seeds of their own destruction because of refusal to compromise. And so it is with EU.

Just Googled it and found F.T article. Switzerland were always on a collusion course with the EU over the rules of the single market. They are effectivly in it via all of the individual deals but that 2014 referendum to limit freemovement was bound to cause problems. The old "Cake and Eat it".

Of course this is a classic case of the EU bullying another country becasue they are not playing by the rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_S...ion_initiative

https://www.ft.com/content/6ebabb6c-...a-60e35ef678d2
    Last edited by Oracle; 19-06-2019 at 05:23 PM.